Coach telling players to "take a hit"!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
What kind of liability issues could there be if a coach tells a player to get hit by a pitched ball and they get injured?

You could make the same case for telling a girl to slide. A better case actually because more kids get hurt sliding than being hit by pitch. Taking one for tye team is as old as the game, just like sliding.

Jun 22, 2008
The OP mentions this was a JR high game which I assume would most likely be played under FED rules. 2 years ago the rule was changed and if the ball is entirely within the batters box the batter does not have to make an attempt to avoid the ball.

Personally I hate the rule, since it was changed I have seen more and more girls purposely crowding the plate daring the pitcher to try and throw on the inside corner. In second round of state championships this year had a girl crowding the plate and got hit on an inside pitch and she never even flinched. Coach was livid when I called her back to bat because the ball was not within the batters box.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Comp is correct and the batter does not have to make an attempt to get out of the way. Some of you are not going to like this but I don't see a problem with telling a batter to get hit IF the coach has practiced with the players the art of getting hit. That sounds terrible doesn't it? Well, truth be told, it should be a part of practice because it is going to happen in a game. We use tennis ball more but have also used whiffle balls and you teach the hitter how to roll with the hit. This enables the hitter to avoid major injuries. Naturally, you would never want them hit and especially not in the head. Avoid head shots at all cost. We taught our girls how to be hit because we refused to give up our position in the box. Pitchers are taught to move hitters off of the plate by throwing inside and then throw quality pitches outside to get outs. In doing so, if a girl is hit, the pitcher has to worry about putting runners on base and so some will stop throwing inside. Something to think about.

Per the OP just yelling to get hit is pathetic if these young ladies have not practiced it. That leads to injury. JMHO!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JJ, I fear the concussion. While you might think that the helmets do a good job, having had to attend my HS Coaching required course on concussions, there are a lot of examples out there that demonstrate just the opposite. Years ago, I had a baseball player hit in the helmet. He sat on home plate and when I got to the plate, I asked him if he knew where he was. His reply was, "I'm at home Dad." I knew he was in some big time trouble.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You could make the same case for telling a girl to slide. A better case actually because more kids get hurt sliding than being hit by pitch. Taking one for tye team is as old as the game, just like sliding.

In a typical game there are what 4-6 slides and 1 kid hit by a pitch. Of course there are going to be more sliding injuries. My son got a whale of a strawberry once from sliding, it stung like the dickens. Oh and he got 2 bones broken in his face, 4 teeth pushed in and 4 chipped teeth from getting hit with a pitch.

Jun 1, 2013
In a typical game there are what 4-6 slides and 1 kid hit by a pitch. Of course there are going to be more sliding injuries. My son got a whale of a strawberry once from sliding, it stung like the dickens. Oh and he got 2 bones broken in his face, 4 teeth pushed in and 4 chipped teeth from getting hit with a pitch.

That is baseball though, girls have masks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi