Coach interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2014
Situation: Bottom of last inning. One out, winning run on second. The batter is walked and third base coach gives a signal, twirling his finger I the air, I am guessing that he wanted the batter to steal second on the walk also. The ball is returned to the pitcher in the circle. The batter/ runner is running full speed to first, starts to make the turn and the first base coach grabs her arm to keep her on first.
Question: Should this be an out?
Ump did not see or did not pay attention and no action was taken by umpire. The runner on second advanced to third and the next batter grounded out to second and the winning run crosses the plate. In my opinion the batter that was grabbed at first should have been out, the batter that grounded to second should have been the third out thus forcing extra innings or a tie.
What are your thoughts?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
This is textbook "assisting the runner".

Was there only one umpire? It's kind of understandable when you have multiple runners and only one set of eyeballs to keep track of them. He may have been glancing at the lead runner or the ball being thrown back to the pitcher.

If there were two umpires, this isn't as excusable. The base umpire should be focused on the batter-runner at first base.

Did the coach even ask the umpire what he saw or why he didn't call an out?

May 2, 2014
There was only one umpire and he ignored our coach. He had been making questionable calls the entire game. I've never seen a strike that the catcher had to lunge out to catch or one that bounces on the plate, but those were the calls made. I guess I expect more out of an umpire. It was almost like he just wanted to go home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles