Coach adding players...???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I don't care what level of team this is or how good the new players are, 16 players at 12u is ridiculous.

Jan 13, 2010
OK, we are a new 12U A team to a pretty good Org. They gold team is the best in the area. I do think the coach is treating this team like a 16/18 gold team, bringing in players to get wins. The bad part is when they 2 new girls showed up we didn't get any wins anyways. The new PT pitcher is good but know means very good, just what all of our pitchers now will be when they are 12. We of course are trying to get to ASA A's WS but i really don't think that is within our reach. We already qualified for PONY in NC.

I do need to pin down the coach and find out when these PT players will be there. We found out yestarday they would all be there this weekend. Didn't even know the newest was on the team till that e-mail.

Again, we picked this team to challenge my DD. It was a step up and we talked about her being ready to work and get playing time. She has definately done that. now to loss time to PT players really sucks.

Feb 3, 2011
Well, 12 is kinda young to send her to talk to the coach, so I guess you will need to express your concerns to him. Mainly, are these part-timers going to play before my DD? Or, are some of our girls going to be absent?

I have a 9yo who asks me every game, "Coach, am I going to pitch today?"

Oct 25, 2009
One thing to consider when a team is playing part time players is that not only are the players from the "other" team part time, now some players on the "actual" team now become, in effect, part time.

My feeling is you are either a team or not a team. Fielding a part time player over a team player is a slap in the face to the team member at whatever position an outsider is placed. Why not just run to their position and shout in their face "you're not good enough!"

They would only do that to my kid once.

Sounds like trophy hunting to me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2010
Softballphreak,I couldn't agree with you more.

So if they would only do that to your kids once, what would you do. If you change teams you are pretty much doing what these PT players are doing. You are taking time away from kids that were there from the begining. We have talked about looking at other teams but we keep coming back to the way we feel and not sure if we want to be the cause of other parents feeling the same way we do.

Oct 25, 2009
Softballphreak,I couldn't agree with you more.

So if they would only do that to your kids once, what would you do. If you change teams you are pretty much doing what these PT players are doing. You are taking time away from kids that were there from the begining. We have talked about looking at other teams but we keep coming back to the way we feel and not sure if we want to be the cause of other parents feeling the same way we do.

Not the same thing. Joining a team as part of the team is different. If you were to play on a team just because a coach thought you were better at a position than one of his players for a game or two with no intentions of being a part of that team that is what is wrong. The best time to join a team is during tryouts.

If a team is trying to improve itself by adding better players that's somewhat expected. But seeing a kid play well on another team and then diss your team by playing them for a tournament or game just isn't right.

IOW, if you can make a team as part of the team that's ethical. If a team wants a better player then teach them or add a player as a team member--not as a ringer.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2010
Update from this past weekend. The best PT player is now on the team the rest of the season. Shes good, will be a help. Only promblem I have with it is I had to ask the coach if it was true. A few parents were saying they though she was but no one knew for sure. A meeting or atleast an e-mail would have been nice. The newest PT player only pitched, didn't play the field, had maybe 5 AB. She pitched 2 IN on Sat. in relief of my DD and did a fine job. Coach started her in game 3 on Sunday, that kinda upset my and the other pitchers parents. She pitched 3 innings and was getting hit hard. An original pitcher went in and held then scoreless for 2 innings, luckily we came back and won that game.

So the onyt thing I know know is one girl is on the team and not sure when the other 2 PT players will be there. I hope the coach has seen these other girls bring nothing to the team and has stopped inviting them to play. I'll see what happens this weekend.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12