Chuck it/ Dog Fetch drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2012
So I have officially added the Chuck-It to my softball arsenal of training aids. I have watched both videos above as well as the video link Amy posted from 2009 - YouTube - iamswingdr.

For those that use this tool, do you have the batter freeze at contact or do you do a full swing? or maybe both? I am just hoping to skip the experimenting part and look like I know what I am doing - haha!

May 7, 2008
i use it a lot. great for muscle memory and instant feedback even when coach is not looking. I use metal pie plate or pan as a target tied to the net and they (12U) just love it when they hit and bend it into all kinds of shapes. I can also set the pie plate to opposite field and drill the outside pitch...

May 4, 2012
I don't get it, personally. I think it works with a knob to the ball type swing, but thats not what I am after. Maybe if the chuk it held the ball tighter it would work, but if you are literally turning the barrel to the ball....

May 11, 2012
This is still IMo one of the better drills not very many people use.

IA coach, I personally feel to get the full benefit of this drill......do it full speed( normal swing). That will pinpoint many flaws and will be challenging enough for a while. Again I suppose its what your using it for. You cant really tell if a player is turning their lead shouder early and collapsing if they dont actually get to the point to release the ball. JMO. Thats not to say the "stop at contact point" drill doesnt have value because it can. Especially when your player is a little more advanced and needs reinforcement on barrell and hand placement at contact. However. typically IMO, if the first 1/2 of the swing is correct and the last 1/4 is correct, then that 3rd part is probably pretty close to too. Hope that makes sense. lol. It did in my own head.

Bullethead, why does the chuck it need the ball to be held tighter in your estimation?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207