Choosing bat length and weight.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
To those of you who responded thanks. I was looking at her current bat and it's actually 32/19 not 31/18. The older I get the worse my memory gets. We're thinking of going with a 32/22. We live in Wisconsin and like the idea of a Anderson bat but we're a bit afraid of a end loaded bat. I've heard that the Anderson Nano is not end loaded but is pretty expensive. Not sure what to do. If money where no issue I'd just go and buy a couple of bats. Is the Anderson Techzilla a balanced bat? Do all composite bats need a breakin period?

The Anderson Techzilla (TZ) swings balanced and has a -10 drop (The Rocketech is Anderson's end loaded bat). Like all Andersons,the TZ has a solid knob c. 1 oz. that is transparent to the swing so the actual weight (i.e. on a scale) is approx. 1 oz greater than the advertised swing weight (i.e., a 33" has a 23 oz swing weight and a scale wt of 24+ oz .). In other words the Techzilla will feel heavier than another typical -10 bat of the same length but will swing comparably. The ABC Nanotek is a different animal - as a single wall metal bat, it is at the maximum allowable performance from the very first swing (all composites require break in to reach max performance; the older composites will beome "hotter" with use and actually exceed the legal limits, whereas the new composites are subject to ABI testing also will become hotter w/ use but can't ever exceed the allowable limits for the lifetime of the bat). The Nano is balanced, currently only comes in -10, and swings very light (i.e., similar to bats 1" longer and 1 oz heavier). DD just got one for her Bday and is waiting for the rain to stop to put some swings on it and see if the sweet spot and pop are as extraordinary as advertised. FYI - DD is 16, 5'6" , 145 lb line drive hitter and currently swings 33/23 TZ, 34/23 Nano, 33/23 CF3 and 34/23 TZ (sloooow pitching). PM me if you're interested in an Anderson, I know a guy (actually she's a gal).

GM

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Can someone explain what these numbers represent?
Thanks!!

That's called the drop. It represents the length, minus the weight. So a 31" bat with a -10 drop, would weigh 21oz. Younger players tend to use lighter bats (-13, -12), while older players in high school, college etc, would use a heavier bat (-9, -8).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619