CAther Interference

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
rec game the other night, catcher set up very close to batters. couple of times, swing hit the mitt, umpire called foul ball. several of us pointed out that bat hit the mitt. he says 'she (catcher) is behind the line, so no interference" first, the only line was a line this catcher drew in the dirt (I guess for her own reference), and second, at least as far as I know, this is utterly BS, please confirm or deny. ;)

May 6, 2015
that is what I tought. this C keep coming forward to receive, bad technique and dangerous . . couple of very high pitches, she even stepped out onto plate to grab them (no one obviously swinging thank god). but with umps like this, that C is going to think she is doing good, and will eventually get hurt.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
rec game the other night, catcher set up very close to batters. couple of times, swing hit the mitt, umpire called foul ball. several of us pointed out that bat hit the mitt. he says 'she (catcher) is behind the line, so no interference" first, the only line was a line this catcher drew in the dirt (I guess for her own reference), and second, at least as far as I know, this is utterly BS, please confirm or deny. ;)

BS is correct. Catcher's Obstruction. Batter is awarded 1B.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
Proper term is catchers obstruction. Offense interferes, defense obstructs.
If you say so. While I like the wording from an offense v. defense pov, I've never heard it called catcher's obstruction, but I live in the boonies. I thought you could only obstruct a runner.

Jan 27, 2019
Rule 2-36 Definition of obstruction (NFHS);
The act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball or that impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally running the bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball or is making the initial play on a batted ball. The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2016
This happened to us in a semi final game a month ago, bottom of last inning we are up 5-3, 2 outs. Go up on the batter 0-2, 3rd pitcher girl swings and misses... ON HER FOLLOW THROUGH SWING she catches our catchers elbow (this girl had a horrible swing) and knocks the ball out, injuring our starting catcher in the process. She was awarded first base, and our starting catcher sent to ER fearing she broke a bone. We ended up winning, and had to play ship with #2 catcher. In my eyes this is not obstruction if a person has a wild swing and hits the catcher on her back swing but i was over ruled.

in the end xrays were negative, and we won the tourney so it worked out but we have played this team mulitple times and this same player has come close to our catcher every swing. I have told the umps about it and nothing has been done. I now set up our catcher farther back than i normally would. We NEVER have a problem with any other team or player just the one girl.

So whats the rule on a back swing?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
This happened to us in a semi final game a month ago, bottom of last inning we are up 5-3, 2 outs. Go up on the batter 0-2, 3rd pitcher girl swings and misses... ON HER FOLLOW THROUGH SWING she catches our catchers elbow (this girl had a horrible swing) and knocks the ball out, injuring our starting catcher in the process. She was awarded first base, and our starting catcher sent to ER fearing she broke a bone. We ended up winning, and had to play ship with #2 catcher. In my eyes this is not obstruction if a person has a wild swing and hits the catcher on her back swing but i was over ruled.

in the end xrays were negative, and we won the tourney so it worked out but we have played this team mulitple times and this same player has come close to our catcher every swing. I have told the umps about it and nothing has been done. I now set up our catcher farther back than i normally would. We NEVER have a problem with any other team or player just the one girl.

So whats the rule on a back swing?
I would assume the rule is the same in softball as baseball here is the rule for follow through interference which you describe.

Basically in the situation you describe the batter, not the catcher can be called for interference. This can happen if it caused a d3K, interfered with C ability to play a d3k, or interferes with catcher ability to make a throw on SB. In no event that I was able to find is the cacther called for obstruction on this type of play. Sounds like your ump blew the call.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma