catching in college

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
Also, those coaches are going to be looking for a strong arm, quickness with her mechanics during any skill, the ability to keep most balls in the dirt close by blocking them, stability behind the plate, confidence and athleticism.

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
Also, those coaches are going to be looking for a strong arm, quickness with her mechanics during any skill, the ability to keep most balls in the dirt close by blocking them, stability behind the plate, confidence and athleticism.

Also, don't forget about being vocal, being able to call a good game, being able to work the pitching staff, and being a leader on the field.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
she is going into senior year and all of the colleges she is looking at are quite small, she doesn't play travel because she is too involved at school, but she has skill level comparable with the girls on the high school team

My question to the gallery might be what kind of opportunities exist for the kind of girl you are describing. Most college players played extensive travel ball, and most were not merely ''comparable'' to her high school teammates, but far better than most of them. Are there some small colleges that need to fill rosters with non-travel players and pretty good high school players? If so, I would think that being a great student and being an outstanding athlete w/ some raw potential often would be part of the bargain.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
My question to the gallery might be what kind of opportunities exist for the kind of girl you are describing. Most college players played extensive travel ball, and most were not merely ''comparable'' to her high school teammates, but far better than most of them. Are there some small colleges that need to fill rosters with non-travel players and pretty good high school players? If so, I would think that being a great student and being an outstanding athlete w/ some raw potential often would be part of the bargain.

I hate to say it, but IMHO the short answer is no. The situation you are describing does exist, but it exists because those types of players you mention will be attending those schools no matter what and the chance to play college softball is never a part of their college selection process. They happen to go out for the team as a non-recruited walk-on athlete, but none of those colleges, small or otherwise are actively searching for them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet