Catcher's mitt/1B mitt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Let me try again....

I have seen a few catchers swear by their first baseman's mitt. I don't generally recommend them much past 12A or 14B... The padding and structure is different...

Worth LAFBWN-1-X.jpg Worth LFPCMX-1-X-L.jpg

Let's compare Worth's 1B mitt and catcher's mitt.... When you compare the thumb and pinkie sides, you can see there is an added layer of felts... You can see the difference in thicknesses... (Especially looking straight on at the thumb) Likewise check out the wrist. The extra padding protects these areas of the hand from pitched balls. The pocket of the catcher's mitt is part of the palm instead of webbing, once again, it holds up better taking hard throws behind the plate. The palm also sports an extra layer of felts, and in some models , the catcher's mitt will have additional padding in the palm area besides the felts. The stiffeners in the thumb and pinkie pads are more robust as well to help the mitt keep it's shape. I have seen some other brands fold over at the finger portion of the mitt (pinkie pad area) when the pitch is not received dead in the pocket... (The pitch keeps going to the backstop) When you consider just how many times a catcher has to use their glove in an inning compared to other field positions, it makes sense to have all the extra padding and reinforcements most catcher's mitts have....

Bottom line, (opinion) if you are a rec ball or league ball player (As was my oldest) use any mitt that you are comfortable with... You may be able to catch B level ball for a while with a 1B mitt, but by 12 or 14, your catcher should be properly protected with a decent quality catcher's mitt. (As was my youngest!) 14A and above, be ready to spend close to 200 for a good quality mitt.

sftblldad7, GM and I are in agreement and trying to make the same point.... These gloves are made to do different things and are position specific.. That was what I was trying to point out using the Vinci mitt illustration. (Perhaps Worth is more PC?) My absolute favorite catcher's mitt for younger players is Easton's old black and gray Synery. The ball gets sucked into the pocket, (hardly ever drops back out) is easy to close and more durable than any other entry level mitt on the market now.... I used Vinci's cause I have them book marked and they have some great glove pics.... (And they are on Ebay too) ;)
-Chaz @ ACC

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
Good work with the Worth pics, Chaz! I think the black and white color stands out better here and makes it easier to see the differences you are describing.

By the way, would you recommend that or another Worth mitt for my DD? Her pitchers are throwing harder and she's thinking about replacing her Mizuno GSX-92. She already tried your Vinci and didn't like it, so that's not an option. With the Worth sponsorship, she can get a Worth brand mitt for about 50% off... Or since we know she likes the Mizuno, we could step up to one of their more thickly padded models, I guess.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Mackenzie loved her Worth Liberty when she was in high school. It took forever to break in but sounded like a shotgun going off when she received pitches. I watched some batters actually jump from time to time as the pitch hit her mitt! This was our first experience with a stiff, hard palmed mitt. (And is the reason I am sold on catcher's mitts with stiffer leather for older A level catchers) We have catcher's using Vinci, (You may want to take another look at them. They now have solid-web 34" mitts!) Wilson, Easton, Valkerie, Mizuno and Worth... We are seeing some of the entry level Mizunos losing their shape within a season resulting in passed balls from the finger section folding backward. (We have seen this with Praying Mantis's also)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd