Catchers gear, thoughts on the Schutt chest protectors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Looking to get my DD some new catchers gear (leg guards and chest protector). She really liked the Schutt Scorpion stuff so we tried to order it from one of the .com online stores and we're being told they are no longer making that model but they can get us the new AiR Maxx Scorpion model (although they can only get it in black/black). One of the things she liked about the older Scorpion model (I have some reservations but figured we'd try it) was the velcro fastening system. No one can tell me if the AiR Maxx uses the velcro fasteners or not and Schutt doesn't even talk about it or show any pictures of it on their own website. Any and all feedback is certainly appreciated...I've left messages asking them but haven't gotten any response yet, meanwhile the rest of the order is being held up pending an answer on the CP. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you!!

Dec 19, 2012
I believe the velcro is gone and replaced with a plastic fastening system. The velcro was the achilles heal of the chest protector. It would get caked up with dirt and fail to stay fastened. It looks like the new schutt chest protector is similar in appearance to the Wilson ProMotion chest protector.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My dd had a scorpion, she liked it, but you are correct, the velcro only lasted one season and it quit sticking. Now she has an S3. She likes it. Only problem is the lower straps couldn't get tight enough to get the bottom of the protector to hug properly. She took it to a home ec teacher and she cut and re-sewed the straps.
Just looked at a photo of the air maxx, if it is velcro, it's not in the same spot as the old scorpion. I know they received many complaints, so I would bet it is not velcro.

Oct 10, 2011
We have he scorpion and haven't had problems with the velcro yet but was wondering if you thought it could be replaced by a seamstress? DD likes it a lot but it's pretty new.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Thanks for the responses. I know that the velcro was controversial but felt the downsides could be managed (I've had some dirt bike gear with velcro straps and with a bit of care and preventative maintenance it works well). I'm sure the plastic fastener system they use on their other CP's works well too. I actually am glad to see them using the new impact absorption materials in critical areas on the product. Wish they had nore color options available besides black on black.
I can't believe how hard it has been to get an answer on this from Schutt and how badly outdated their website is for the rollout of a new product!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
WARRIORMIKE is a Schutt dealer and knows a lot about their newest gear. Shoot him a PM and see what he can tell you.

My 10yo DD has been using the Scorpion CP, and we've had zero issues with the velcro, but I wouldn't be surprised if Schutt has done away with it on the new model.

It is the clamp that slides in, you would have to push in the two sides to release better and more durable fastener now. The velcro eventually goes bad on the previous model and will start to curl from wear and tear. I just bought my second set the Air Maxx with the triple leg guards, everything is very light durable and most importantly the protection is terrific. Definitely worth the investment in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01