Catchers and Pitchouts/Pickoffs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Biggest issue about pics is to be sure all members of the team are on the same page. The 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, rt fielder, all must know the play is happening.

We start teaching our catchers pic throws at the 10U level even though they may not have the support staff to execute well for a season or two.

We also want players to remember that the main goal of a good pickoff throw is to shorten leads.....of course the grand prize is to actually get the out.

i agree catching coach, it is to shorten the lead as much as anything with the out being a bonus...we ((12U)) do have signs from the dugout when we put the pics in play...i love the runner at 1 & 2 or bases loaded pic to 1st, we have got the grand prize a couple times...Coach W.

Sep 3, 2009
Are you asking what techniques for the actual pickoff throw?

Coach Weaver

Sorry, I should have posed that question better. I was curious if there was any special strategy for this, or should it just be treat as a normal throw out? Secondary stance, etc. Technique wise, I'm assuming it should be treated as a normal attempt to steal?

Nov 9, 2009
Pic

i agree catching coach, it is to shorten the lead as much as anything with the out being a bonus...we ((12U)) do have signs from the dugout when we put the pics in play...i love the runner at 1 & 2 or bases loaded pic to 1st, we have got the grand prize a couple times...Coach W.

CoachW, can you tell me about this 1-2, or bases loaded pic play you speak of? Thanks

Feb 5, 2009
jj5000,

I believe coach willy is describing the fake pick-off at first and luring either the runner at 2nd to go to 3rd and get picked, or with the runner at 3rd getting picked at home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles