Catcher Setup Position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
At yesterday's games, the umpire informed us that that the catcher's feet could not be forward of the back line of the batter's boxes when the pitch was released, or it's an IP. Is this correct? (ASA).

Jun 22, 2008
Yes and no. The catcher must be in the catchers box at the release of the pitch, but the rule also allows the catcher to move forward if the batter is up in the front of the batters box without penalty. It is emphasized, however, that the batter still has the rights to the entire batters box and the catcher cannot obstruct the batters swing.

Jun 18, 2010
Rule 6: Pitching Regulations:

Fast Pitch:
Section 7. CATCHER. A. The catcher must remain within the lines of the catcher's box until the pitch is released. EFFECT: Illegal pitch.

Slow Pitch:
Section 6. CATCHER.
A. The catcher must remain within the lines of the catcher ' s box until the pitched ball is batted , touches the ground or plate, or reaches the catcher's box.

home_plate_zps05aodfem.png

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Comp - As I understand your response, the catcher in this pic could have moved forward, even as far as her feet being inside the batters box, as long as she isn't interfering with the batter's swing?...
FullSizeRender_zpst32iriwg.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Rule 1: Definitions:

CATCHER'S BOX: The area to which the catcher is restricted while catching. The catcher must remain in the box until:
A. (Fast Pitch) The pitch is released.
B. (SlOW Pitch) The pitched ball is:
1. Batted.
2. Touches the ground, plate, or batter.
3. Reaches the catcher's box.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
knightsb - Comp mentions that the rule allows the catcher to move forward. I don't see that allowance/exception in the rules you have posted.

Jun 18, 2010
knightsb - Comp mentions that the rule allows the catcher to move forward. I don't see that allowance/exception in the rules you have posted.

I've looked through the rules and do not see the allowance Comp mentioned. My ASA rule book is from 2014. Comp is usually spot on with rules, so I would not be surprised if I missed something.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Rule supplement 8, 2nd sentence. The catcher may move closer to the plate without penalty when the batter is positioned in the front portion of the batters box during the pitch.

Along with the statement later of the catcher cannot obstruct the batter. It does also say if the umpire requests the catcher to move back to avoid injury or obstruction the catcher should comply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06