catcher equipment costs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
I don't think it's an issue to have a set of catcher's gear in the kit. I've always found that mandatory, even at rep level. (so same as travel ball) It's a LOT of money to be laying out for a position to be 'tried'. It's not like a glove or bat, the kid isn't going to decide they don't want to bat anymore.

They're young enough that they're still learning positions and what their strengths are. Even at travel ball, you (should) want to support that. How many players have started a position a little bit older and been a revelation? You also don't know how many kids want to try it out, but can't because they don't have their own equipment.

You could always make a rule, that the kids who are wanting to learn the position can use the team equipment for a season. After that, they need their own gear.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Our organization typically bought a set of gear for each of the catchers if that was the primary position. Not "trying it out". They kept the gear with them until they either outgrew it, or it was updated. Girls that had their own gear were more than welcome to use it provided the color was correct or at least close (no red gear on blue uniforms). Most of the older catchers had their own due to personal preferences in gear. I always kept a used set from this stock with me in case we needed a backup. When someone wanted to try catching, that was the gear they could use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06