Catcher’s Thumb Consistently Hurting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2021
Hello everyone. When our 11 year old catcher catches our fastest pitcher her thumb takes a beating. Is there a piece of gear she can get or a particular mitt that might be helpful. Thank you.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

My DD wore one of these for a while until she got a mitt that gave her better protection, and her skills improved.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Constant heat and ice to help heal the joint. To prevent the constant abuse, have your catcher practice catching low thrown tennis balls barehanded with correct form. The thumb should never rotate below the 3 o'clock position (from a right handed catcher's perspective).

Oct 26, 2019

My DD wore one of these for a while until she got a mitt that gave her better protection, and her skills improved.
There are a few different types of these out there. They are great and most of them can just stay in the glove when you pull your hand out making it pretty much part of the glove.

Jun 22, 2019
When I catch my daughter with a mitt/glove that doesn’t have a stiff thumb, my thumb gets sore. What kind of mitt is she using?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Catch the ball Thumbs Up position will help with this and of course a higher quality mitt that has a reinforced thumb slot.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Hello everyone. When our 11 year old catcher catches our fastest pitcher her thumb takes a beating. Is there a piece of gear she can get or a particular mitt that might be helpful. Thank you.
All good advice given so far....proper technique, an evoshield thumbguard, a better quality mitt as she continues to catch faster pitching. If there is lingering pain in the thumb for days after catching take some time off (no one ever likes that idea).

Jul 27, 2021
My DD tried one of the gloves to help with catchers thumb (Team Defender). Only used it for a little bit(8u, start 10u). She just got better at catching properly

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Technique plays a huge role in being able to catch for long periods without suffering hand soreness and fatigue. The whole tennis ball idea is a good one that was mentioned and one I used while building up my endurance and working on my technique.

Afa equipment, the evoshield thumbguard mentioned is a good one as I use it, myself. It just stays in my glove right in the thumb slot. I also use a palmgard glove which is like a batting glove but has a lot of padding where the meatiest part of your palm rests if it's the speed and hardness of the pitches that are causing issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying