can someone post a gif of miggy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
t538sh.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Turn the barrel and come in from behind the ball! Yup!

Sadly, not everyone believes this.

And those that have emphasized just that have seen great over all results. Swings with a corner, the lower rear side pulling and sling shooting the swing. I have 0 doubt that the "feel the lower half going first" or "wait until the lower half goes, then swing" forum writers are just that...forum writers. They are full of crap. They either are not working with any hitters at all (i am sure of) or simply the ones they are working with don't match their words... (Many of us have the video to prove that).

Turn the barrel.....or even better learn to coil WITHOUT letting it go, and turn the barrel (with is the uncoil...the hip never ever uncoils) and it gets reactive.

I have said 100 times on here that adjustabilty is king. Power??? Big deal. My dd hit 5 hr at 10 yrs old. Power with adjustability is king. You parents throwing front toss, come in at 10 feet, throw them a dozen brisk under hand tosses. Any decent hitter should be squaring up on every one of them. Now give them a pure acting change up. Act like you are going to going to rip it in there, but toss it slow. Do they look all messed up...start....stall...weak hit or cut on the ball? Or do they look like they are coiling tighter to release? Like a sling shot. It is easy...so obvious to see...uhhhhhhhbhhhh smak! The stretch just pulls tighter and releases. Deep zone power on fastest pitches and deep zone power on slowest pitches...."REACTIVE"...that is my goal for the girls. More thoughts then that and they will be playing adult rec league....a shame that athletic kids get short changed by egotistical dads that can't be open minded to change.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
No way can you train a hitter to see the ball, decide in the last 15 feet or so if it is go or not. Then think "I need to turn my lower half then my upper half" and expect them to be a high average hitter.
You need to teach them good mechanics to be reactive. Mechanics that show stretch between the lower and upper...but happening on auto. Lower going....or even worse "hips firing" are bs! Thats why you never hear much from mlb hitters talk of it. They talk all about hands....because their swing is reactive...only mental thought is about the hands.
Teach coil around the rear leg. Teach turn the barrel. And it is impossible not to be reactive. Like pulling back a bow, you pull back...you release when your target pin is near center target. You can spend the rest of your life working on perfecting the smoothest release and follow through, but the pull and release gets you 90% there. Just as a swing, learn to coil....learn to turn the barrel, and you are 90% there. The rest is details.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
No way can you train a hitter to see the ball, decide in the last 15 feet or so if it is go or not. Then think "I need to turn my lower half then my upper half" and expect them to be a high average hitter.
You need to teach them good mechanics to be reactive. Mechanics that show stretch between the lower and upper...but happening on auto. Lower going....or even worse "hips firing" are bs! Thats why you never hear much from mlb hitters talk of it. They talk all about hands....because their swing is reactive...only mental thought is about the hands.
Teach coil around the rear leg. Teach turn the barrel. And it is impossible not to be reactive. Like pulling back a bow, you pull back...you release when your target pin is near center target. You can spend the rest of your life working on perfecting the smoothest release and follow through, but the pull and release gets you 90% there. Just as a swing, learn to coil....learn to turn the barrel, and you are 90% there. The rest is details.

great post!!!!!