Can one player...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2018
You can't blame the guy for trying. She showed up to try out, he offered her a spot and in trying to get her talent on his team made the offer as attractive as he could. It's not like any coach would say a player is overqualified for their team go elsewhere. LOL

Feb 20, 2020
If I were the coach I'd tell him thanks for letting me know his priorities, and then thank God they passed.

Anyone who is invited to a tryout or practice and then decides to crap on those who did the inviting isn't someone you want around.

The right kind of best player elevates everyone, mostly because they aren't concerned or worried about being the best player. Someone who thinks/knows they are better than everyone else on the team is not a good teammate to have around. And certainly a parent who thinks that was is closer to cancerous than beneficial.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If I were the coach I'd tell him thanks for letting me know his priorities, and then thank God they passed.

Anyone who is invited to a tryout or practice and then decides to crap on those who did the inviting isn't someone you want around.

The right kind of best player elevates everyone, mostly because they aren't concerned or worried about being the best player. Someone who thinks/knows they are better than everyone else on the team is not a good teammate to have around. And certainly a parent who thinks that was is closer to cancerous than beneficial.
Are you considering the situation of both the players and the starter team at 14u
level?
Or just taking the families feedback as an insult when they could have just said no.
The gave a reason.
And the coach then offered his.
That post sounds like a coach who cant handle feedback.
Or atleast took it as a negative instead of hearing what the player is looking for in a team. 'looking for faster pace more challenge'.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
You can't say that without insulting his team or his practice. That's what he was doing -- basically telling this coach they weren't good enough for his daughter.

And if that's the way he feels, fine. But there's no need to throw shade. And a person who throws thinly veiled insults for no reason is a person who will cause disruption in other ways.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You can't say that without insulting his team or his practice. That's what he was doing -- basically telling this coach they weren't good enough for his daughter.

And if that's the way he feels, fine. But there's no need to throw shade. And a person who throws thinly veiled insults for no reason is a person who will cause disruption in other ways.
The family communicated their goals, which included the reason they are saying no thank you.

Would point out a coach who presumes that as an insult is thinking negatively, on the defense. If a coach cant handle people communicating...what does that say about the coach.

Think the families feedback wether it sounds like critisism or not, gives the coach the opportunity to speak to those players goals.

The coach could have had other better paced more challenging practices planned to speak of.
In this case, think the coach was already in agreement of the teams level. It showed by his response.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
There’s equal value in being both the “worst” player on a great team and the “best” player on a bad team. One of life‘s lessons that sports should teach us how to start from the bottom and build up to the top.

parents of team jumpers that are always looking for something better should think about what they are teaching their kids.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
There’s equal value in being both the “worst” player on a great team and the “best” player on a bad team. One of life‘s lessons that sports should teach us how to start from the bottom and build up to the top.
Hmmm? interesting points to continue discussions~ agree with the part about keep building!
*IF* there is equal value being the best or worst player on a team~
Is there equal value for the best player to be on a team that does not challenge them at practices? How about a lower level team that when they play only play lower level events? Where the better player doesnt get to face better pitching, hitters, and experiencing what is happening at the next level.
imo NO. Not equal value.
Especially at this age level.

Look forward to others thoughts on this topic.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
I’m not sure what age you are in, my daughter is 12 and moving up to 14. One of her best learning experiences was two years ago when I had to move her to catcher out of necessity. A new pitcher also came on to our travel team that wasn’t getting the innings she needed to get as a #3 on her old team. I put my daughter and the pitcher in a rec league I was a part of for one season to work together to get innings they needed.

They got about 40 innings pitching and catching in six weeks of rec. It helped them both tremendously as they both came back much better players. Their team wasn’t great, but with them 2 on it, they managed a 500 record. I told my picture she basically had a strike everyone out because if the other team put the ball in play they were going to get on, 😂. So even though they weren’t great hitters, she was under pressure.

They also enjoyed working with the other girls that weren’t quite as talented as they were. I was thankful she had that opportunity to help teach those girls by example.

I realize there are different levels in TB. If you were talking about A level competition that plays regionally Pgf then I see your point. If the goal is to get kids into college then there is a little option but keep pushing them on the most advanced teams they can find. I get that.

Everyone has different goals and expectations, so I’m not saying one way is right or wrong, I’m just saying you can learn and become a better player from almost any situation you were in.
I’m probably different than a lot of parents on here, our goal is not to one day play in college.

The pros and cons of playing sports in college is a whole Other discussion😀

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I’m not sure what age you are in, my daughter is 12 and moving up to 14. One of her best learning experiences was two years ago when I had to move her to catcher out of necessity. A new pitcher also came on to our travel team that wasn’t getting the innings she needed to get as a #3 on her old team. I put my daughter and the pitcher in a rec league I was a part of for one season to work together to get innings they needed.

They got about 40 innings pitching and catching in six weeks of rec. It helped them both tremendously as they both came back much better players. Their team wasn’t great, but with them 2 on it, they managed a 500 record. I told my picture she basically had a strike everyone out because if the other team put the ball in play they were going to get on, 😂. So even though they weren’t great hitters, she was under pressure.

They also enjoyed working with the other girls that weren’t quite as talented as they were. I was thankful she had that opportunity to help teach those girls by example.

I realize there are different levels in TB. If you were talking about A level competition that plays regionally Pgf then I see your point. If the goal is to get kids into college then there is a little option but keep pushing them on the most advanced teams they can find. I get that.

Everyone has different goals and expectations, so I’m not saying one way is right or wrong, I’m just saying you can learn and become a better player from almost any situation you were in.
I’m probably different than a lot of parents on here, our goal is not to one day play in college.

The pros and cons of playing sports in college is a whole Other discussion😀
Nice that your post reflects how players have different goals. And there are different levels in those goals!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA