Camps for an 8th grader?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2023
Not officially at least. If your kid happens to play well in games where college coaches are there for whatever reason (can happen at the bigger National tournaments especially if you are on a team which has kids in HS on it), they will take notice and make a note..Not something you or her should worry about though.

My awesome kid - has only been playing competitive softball for one year and pitching for one year. She’s not getting recruited for college now. But, she could use some medium stress tryout type practice to just get comfortable in that environment as she really wants to try and get on the varsity high school team. She did two skills camps this summer and it’s shocking the difference in her ability to make eye contact and talk to coaches and ask for feedback. Because she hasn’t been playing for years tryouts and even pitching in front of new people is still not the norm. Her pitching coach told me to sign her up for lots of things until she can confidently walk into a room and tell people she’s a pitcher and pitch in front of them. And it seems to be working.

Feb 25, 2022
We have a local D1 school that offers weekly clinics/skills sessions as well as team camps. The clinics are weeknights throughout the fall-winter and run by the college coach and various players. The attendance during the weeknight clinics is super low, mainly due to lack of advertising but that's not my problem and we benefit. My daughter has gained a wealth of knowledge, especially on the days that she's literally one on one with instruction.
My daughter is also too young for any type of recruitment, but the networking is key. We go to games in the spring and the players call her out by name in the stands. During home tournaments, they'll actually take her to hang out with them between games. It's a huge confidence boost for her and allows her to get insight on what college ball entails.

Oct 14, 2020
Sounds like a school with a good culture and players who know where they came from.

(where is it? I need to get my kid to go there!)
We have a local D1 school that offers weekly clinics/skills sessions as well as team camps. The clinics are weeknights throughout the fall-winter and run by the college coach and various players. The attendance during the weeknight clinics is super low, mainly due to lack of advertising but that's not my problem and we benefit. My daughter has gained a wealth of knowledge, especially on the days that she's literally one on one with instruction.
My daughter is also too young for any type of recruitment, but the networking is key. We go to games in the spring and the players call her out by name in the stands. During home tournaments, they'll actually take her to hang out with them between games. It's a huge confidence boost for her and allows her to get insight on what college ball entails.

Oct 4, 2018
My awesome kid - has only been playing competitive softball for one year and pitching for one year. She’s not getting recruited for college now. But, she could use some medium stress tryout type practice to just get comfortable in that environment as she really wants to try and get on the varsity high school team. She did two skills camps this summer and it’s shocking the difference in her ability to make eye contact and talk to coaches and ask for feedback. Because she hasn’t been playing for years tryouts and even pitching in front of new people is still not the norm. Her pitching coach told me to sign her up for lots of things until she can confidently walk into a room and tell people she’s a pitcher and pitch in front of them. And it seems to be working.

That's why we go (well, went) to tons of travel team tryouts every year. Got a lot of great "pressure situations" while looking for the new team. I agree it's very helpful. And going this route, it's less expensive. You probably don't get a cool T-shirt though.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's not always about getting seen to get recruited. If you attend the same growing up the coaches will remember you and they will recognize you as you actually get to the age of recruitment. As long as the skill set is there and your academics goals match up and of course if your parents went to the school go a long way!!

May 17, 2023
It's not always about getting seen to get recruited. If you attend the same growing up the coaches will remember you and they will recognize you as you actually get to the age of recruitment. As long as the skill set is there and your academics goals match up and of course if your parents went to the school go a long way!!

Yep my DD was too young at one point to attend Prospect Camp but her PC got a job at local D1 and suggested she just register as old enough. I wasn't sure about that but she was running the logistics. Fast forward several years and HC told her this Summer can't believe how much she has grown up last few years.

We didn't send her to get recruited (odds are coach won't be there that long) but rather as a reward for working really hard. She loves the experience each year and keeps her motivated. To me that's money well spent.

Only downside is they thought she flunked 7th grade a few times :ROFLMAO:

Jan 1, 2023
In general this is correct..there are exceptions though (watch till the end..lol)

;) (kid was in 8th grade at the time..she has a similar one with Patty..hugging a kid has to be some kind of recruiting violation no? :ROFLMAO: ). Of course everybody knew who she was before this but if a kid hits like 10 out in a row (BP or not) you probably will get noticed..

Somebody needs to give the kid hitting beside her a refund..

At the 12U USA AAG, a girl jacked a ball about 230 feet off a tee and then hit 64mph in the pitching speed contest. Gasso did the initial speech, so she may have seen it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi