Cali does it again, law to aid injured athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I would also think that there would be increase in tution for all the students to share the cost.In the end. The schools will pass it down to the consumer and less kids will be able to afford the expenses of college. The dummying down of America is in full effect and gaining speed.

Yep, moving forward.:rolleyes: That's what I told DD a couple days ago. She should be so thankful to get college paid for, and she has no idea. I saw on the news the average bill that students have to pay back was $30,000 for school. That's a lot of money for someone just getting into the work force and starting their own life.

Look, the program is a good idea on paper. But I put little faith in ANY ideas from ANY state that can't balance it's own budget. The costs of this will far outweigh any benefits. It will hurt thousands in the long run for the handful of isolated incidents it will help.

Apr 25, 2010
My biggest problem with this type of thing is that there is inherent risk involved playing any sport at any level. You accept that risk when you choose to play. Just as you assume the risk of getting injured while watching a sporting event.

Mar 13, 2010
Yes and that's why you have insurance. I pay insurance to play on my local park ($10 a year) The fact that people play sport in America without insurance is just stupid. Sport has risk, but that's why insurance exists, you pay for it to mitigate your risk.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
My friend's son 19, was paralyzed from his neck down last winter. He was a college student, 19 years old. His injury didn't happen in sports, but spinal injuries like his do happen in college sports. He will get social security for the rest of his life. They go back for the last 3 years to figure out his income. So for next 50 years, this boy who has to be fed, and must puff into a device to move his wheelchair will get a whooping big 'entitlement' of $7600 per year! Luckily his parents had good jobs (his mom had to quit hers to take care of him), I couldn't imagine what happens to a low income athlete with a similiar injury.

As with anything, someone will figure out a way to abuse it, but do you avoid doing what right, because a few could do you wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06