Cali does it again, law to aid injured athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
California law will aid injured athletes in Pac-12 - ESPN

They will have to give academic scholarships to students who lose their athletic scholarships if they are injured while playing their sport. They also will have to cover insurance deductibles and pay health care premiums for low-income athletes, among other provisions.

The legislation requires the universities to pay future medical costs for on-the-field injuries, providing student-athletes with the kind of guarantees that even some professional athletes don't receive.

Jan 25, 2011
another entitlement program.It could open the door for more issues. So lets say that a student that doesn't play a sport, but has a mental injury," say to much stress from studing". Now that student should get an attorney and sue the school for mental anguish, to cover their treatment and save any academic scholarships they may have.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Wow...you guys need to get out more. In case you don't know, some football players end up paralyzed from injuries sustained in college (Mark Hemphill, e.g.).

By the way, colleges are not required to pay the medical bills for an injury sustained during an athletic competition. They might, or they might not. The kids are totally at the mercy of the colleges.

The legislation requires the universities to pay future medical costs for on-the-field injuries, providing student-athletes with the kind of guarantees that even some professional athletes don't receive.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Any employee, included pro athletes, get full medical coverage for injuries sustained on the job. In cases of severe injuries, the medical bills can be extremely high.

In addition, an employee, like pro athletes, also get compensated for the injury. Generally, it is something on the order of $500,000 to $1,000,000 for severe injuries. The athlete would also get medical care for the work related injury.

So, the athlete would get a scholarship. I don't get what the problem is.

another entitlement program.

That is a crazy statement. Do you also want to end workers compensation where employers pay for injuries to workers sustained on the job?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
By the way, colleges are not required to pay the medical bills for an injury sustained during an athletic competition. They might, or they might not. The kids are totally at the mercy of the colleges.

I thought the NCAA required universities to certify all athletes to have some type of health care coverage before they can compete. Parents plan, state plan, or the college ins plan.

Even our HS has medical for sports injuries. We had a boy who broke his leg 2 years ago playing BB, the school filed it on their ins and the family didn't pay a dime.

So, the athlete would get a scholarship. I don't get what the problem is.

As long as it is a legit injury I see no problem with the school needing to compensate with a scholarship for a defined time. But you'll always have idiots who "claim" an injury to reek the benefits.

So the question is how long should a scholarship be awarded? Freshman who tears a knee first week of conditioning in the fall, should he/she receive 3 more years of a scholarship if he/she can't compete again? Aren't most athletic scholarships done on a year by year basis anyway?

Bottom line folks is grades. My brother messed his elbow up late in his junior year of college, couldn't pitch/play his senior year. But it didn't affect his education at all, he was on a full acedemic ride from the start.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
So the question is how long should a scholarship be awarded? Freshman who tears a knee first week of conditioning in the fall, should he/she receive 3 more years of a scholarship if he/she can't compete again? Aren't most athletic scholarships done on a year by year basis anyway?

Starting with the grad class of 2013 a student can request a four year guarantee. It is not being easily given but it is available.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
At this time this only applies to those Universities that have 10 million in sports media revenue (or more) coming into the coffers.

I wonder how future medical is going to be determined? Will is be similar to Cali work comp laws? If so, there will be a financial impact. Will athletes get paid permanent partial disability for any surgery?

>>"Neither personal injury nor poverty should dim the dreams of a student-athlete pursuing a college degree, particularly when their performance has enriched their college," Sen. Alex Padilla, D-Los Angeles, said in a statement.<<

While this is partially true for those four universities, it would only appply to football, men's basketball and possibly women's basketball. I can't imagine a UCLA softball player enriches UCLA financially. Minor sports are almost always a cost center for the school.

Which leads to this:

>>Of the four schools immediately affected, only Stanford objected to the final version of the bill, saying it is unfair to include only the top money-generating universities.<<

It's very likely this is just the start. When this law starts to apply to the less financially well off schools, don't be surprised when athletics get trimmed to men's football, basketball, women's basketball, crew and 1 other sport.

Jan 25, 2011
At this time this only applies to those Universities that have 10 million in sports media revenue (or more) coming into the coffers.

I wonder how future medical is going to be determined? Will is be similar to Cali work comp laws? If so, there will be a financial impact. Will athletes get paid permanent partial disability for any surgery?

>>"Neither personal injury nor poverty should dim the dreams of a student-athlete pursuing a college degree, particularly when their performance has enriched their college," Sen. Alex Padilla, D-Los Angeles, said in a statement.<<

While this is partially true for those four universities, it would only appply to football, men's basketball and possibly women's basketball. I can't imagine a UCLA softball player enriches UCLA financially. Minor sports are almost always a cost center for the school.

Which leads to this:

>>Of the four schools immediately affected, only Stanford objected to the final version of the bill, saying it is unfair to include only the top money-generating universities.<<

It's very likely this is just the start. When this law starts to apply to the less financially well off schools, don't be surprised when athletics get trimmed to men's football, basketball, women's basketball, crew and 1 other sport.
You are most likely right on all of your comments. I would also think that there would be increase in tution for all the students to share the cost.In the end. The schools will pass it down to the consumer and less kids will be able to afford the expenses of college. The dummying down of America is in full effect and gaining speed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06