bunted ball hits home plate fair or foul

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Exactly. I can't see how anybody would think those aren't fair.

I agree with you. Yet, we see those people far too frequently, and, shockingly, some of those people are the ones who are supposed to know the rules better than anyone.

Oct 24, 2010
Wouldn't it be just like a line drive hitting third base being fair? All bases are in play?

(*except maybe a safety bag on first's outside bag? Assume that's foul, but have personally never thought about it.)

Not quite. A line drive that strikes third base is fair unless it has been touched over foul territory.

A batted ball that touches the plate is neither fair nor foul until one of the criteria for fair or foul has been met.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
The ball touching or not touching home plate doesn't matter. Is it fair or foul when it is touched or stops moving?

If it lands on home plate its clearly fair. The shape of the plate is literally designed to start the foul lines placing the plate squarely in fair territory...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Umpires: Just to add to this scenario. Say the coach protests the umpire's call in this situation and it's upheld. How would you rectify the situation?

Google "Mongolian Olympic wrestling coaches protest in Rio" to see the proper way to rectify this situation.

Nov 29, 2009
I agree with you. Yet, we see those people far too frequently, and, shockingly, some of those people are the ones who are supposed to know the rules better than anyone.

Ain't that the truth. Arrived to play a practice game against a team as they were setting up the field. The guy putting down the bases was measuring 60' at the front of the bases. I told him it's measured at the back of the base. He gives me an incredulous look and proceeds to tell me I'm wrong and that he is an NCAA umpire. All I could say was Ohhhhhkkkaaaayyy..... And walked away.

That night I sent the program director the link and page number from the online NCAA rule book and told him to have his guy read it. I doubt he ever did.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Ain't that the truth. Arrived to play a practice game against a team as they were setting up the field. The guy putting down the bases was measuring 60' at the front of the bases. I told him it's measured at the back of the base. He gives me an incredulous look and proceeds to tell me I'm wrong and that he is an NCAA umpire. All I could say was Ohhhhhkkkaaaayyy..... And walked away.

Actually, you could have started the game with a protest. :) I wonder what he would have said if you told him on 1/4 of 2B is inside the diamond?

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Umpires: Just to add to this scenario. Say the coach protests the umpire's call in this situation and it's upheld. How would you rectify the situation?

Are you saying that the umpire calls the ball foul and gives the reason for that call that the ball hit the plate? That would be protestable as a misinterpretation of the rule. About the only way to rectify it is to place the batter runner on first base and advance any other runners that were forced. It would fall under ASA 10-3-C....umpires can rectify situations where a reversal of a call places a team in jeopardy. (paraphrase).

Note: in NCAA rules, this would not be protestable...once a ball is declared foul, it cannot be changed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi