Bunt w/ 2 strikes or stand and watch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
I have a few girls that have been struggling at the plate. Not just hitting the ball but even actually swinging the bat at the correct pitches or at all.

This last week we took them back to bunting basics, 2 are fast runners and at 10U if they put the bunt down will put good pressure on most defenses to make the out.

I have told at least 2 of the 3 that they will bunt until it is fair or they are out. My DWife thinks I am crazy and should let them swing when they have 2 strikes. I said, they will either swing at a ball, NOT swing at all or swing and miss the strike anyway. They are better at pulling back on a ball when squared then they are at NOT swinging at a bad pitch.

Am I crazy to make them bunt with 2 strikes? I see it as more pressure on them to actually swing and hit the ball with only one chance then it is to bunt a fair ball. :confused:

Mar 15, 2010
Bottom line: If the girl bunts fair on 2 strikes all the parents and your wife will think you are a brilliant but crazy coach. Sort of like Sean Payton calling for the onside kick on the second half kickoff. If they bunt foul all the parents and your wife will agree you are crazy and have no idea what you are doing coaching.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Oh the beauty of rec. Funny story I will share. On my travel team a year ago, I had the greatest
kid you would ever want to be around. She was a terrible player but was the dugout 'glue' we played
about 6-8 tournaments and she had only gotten on base via walk. I had her bunt with 2 strikes, it was
perfect right up the 1B line, she was safe and happy. She doesn't play anymore but last time I saw her,
she still mentioned how nervous she was that day.

Jul 28, 2008
Look at the odds. What are the odds she will get a hit with 2 strikes compared to laying down a bunt? I think you're better at that point of still trying to lay down the bunt. The defense is going to play you back with 2 strikes. Go ahead and bunt.

May 11, 2009
I like Shockcoach's statement on this especially at 10U. They have gone through 2 strikes trying to bunt and now you put them in a totally different mindset and have her swing away. She will be nervous no matter what she does. I have a girl on my 14U team that I have thought about doing it to many of times because she is really pretty good at laying down bunts but if she gets 2 strikes on her bunting she always strikes out when I have her swing away on the third. I know all of the parents will be mad but what the heck, if it works half the time you are guaranteed first base due to the defense not playing you up. If she normally strikes out anyway what have you lost. You have also planted the seed in the other coaches mind that you are willing to try some things a little different.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Also, a lot of teams aren't expecting someone to bunt with two strikes on them. So, the defense might not be prepare for it. All the more chance of getting on if you do lay it down.

Oct 18, 2009
I think this is more acceptable in fastpitch as opposed to baseball. This would never be done in baseball. I think in softball more pitchers dominate the game and certain batters especially at younger ages are simply overmatched. The chances of a strikeout is high anyway... attempting a bunt may be the only way to get the bat on the ball. I say go for the bunt with 2 strikes with certain batters.

Jan 6, 2009
Texas
I have done that many times, if the parents dont like what you are doing, offer to buy them a clipboard and let them coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi