Bring team together?? Dedication lacking.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2014
I currently coach a 10u travel team. We are no powerhouse by any means, but the team seemed to had turned a corner this fall. Now all of a sudden, there seems to be a lack of dedication on both the girls and the parents. Other activities, sports, plus league ball seems to take precedence over our practices. These parents pay to have their kids play, and I don't want to be the one to tell any kid they can't play other sports.

How can I get everyone re-dedicated and on the same page?? Suggestions??

Sep 29, 2014
at 10U hard to make kids choose, but usually I would try not to play more than one sport a season I know girls that play volleyball, basketball and softball but they are all different seasons. Problem comes when trying to play travel or club ball since those are usually year round commitments even if the main season is during a particular time. I would think this is the time that 10U travel softball should begin to be the focus if that is what they signed up for...which is usually the other issue coaches don't let parents know what is expected at the beginning of the season.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I currently coach a 10u travel team. We are no powerhouse by any means, but the team seemed to had turned a corner this fall. Now all of a sudden, there seems to be a lack of dedication on both the girls and the parents. Other activities, sports, plus league ball seems to take precedence over our practices. These parents pay to have their kids play, and I don't want to be the one to tell any kid they can't play other sports.

In this age group we always established a period where players and families had to be dedicated to the team - normally the last 6-8 weeks of the season leading up to our goal tournament (states/nationals/whatever). Outside that window we encouraged (or at least didn't discourage) other sports/activities. We also had some mandatory practices on unpopular nights where there was less likelihood of conflicts (Friday evening/Sunday evening) early in the season. We did our best to be accommodating and balanced without demanding 100% year round dedication. We set this all up BEFORE the season so expectations were set - you may have a harder time with this if you are already in season, but a in-person team parent meeting to discuss priorities is probably going to be required.

By 14U Travel - we expect to be the priority all the time for our declared days for the length of the season (outside critical school events which there are plenty of). But that is a different beast by then.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

You have to sell it.

At the moment, their experience of your practices and travel ball doesn't inspire them to give up other activities, sports and league ball. They'd rather do something else.

Could your practices be more fun or challenging? Could tournaments be more fun or challenging? Do the players really like their coaches and feel valued? Is the coaching staff in tune with what 10-year-olds want out of their softball?

Or it could be you just don't have enough kids who are going to like that lifestyle. But my point would just be that you have to make your product as attractive to your clientele as possible. It's like a business. You are competing against a lot of other options.

Jun 12, 2015
I don't understand undedicated people doing travel ball at all. It's expensive and time consuming. If you're not that into it why not stick with rec? I'm not sure how you can make people become more dedicated unfortunately.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I don't understand undedicated people doing travel ball at all. It's expensive and time consuming. If you're not that into it why not stick with rec?

I think some people have so much disposable income they can just throw it away. But they still expect trophies. 10U I can deal with kids not taking it all that serious as they are 10, but 16/18U girls that are on a showcase team that don't do the emails, camps etc really drives me nuts.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Do you have enough players and talent to remain competitive at every tournament? If not, consider increasing your roster and letting the less dedicated players share playing time. If they want the playing time they will be there. If a few lack dedication, then you owe it to those that are dedicated to make sure you have the resources to support them.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Do you have enough players and talent to remain competitive at every tournament? If not, consider increasing your roster and letting the less dedicated players share playing time. If they want the playing time they will be there. If a few lack dedication, then you owe it to those that are dedicated to make sure you have the resources to support them.

^^^^^ yeah, what he said. Should I be concerned that I find myself agreeing with riseball quite often?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1