Bizarre Coaching Situation - Could use some advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2011
I am the Head Coach of a 10U team. The girls all have different experience levels -- from four years to none. The league I coach in has a position of Team Manager that must be female. This is my first year with this league and was under the impression that the Manager was a team mom, responsible for safety, communication, etc. In our pre-season meeting she told the coaches (both first time in this league) that she would leave softball to us and support our decisions. The league is "non-competitive" until the end of season tournament, score is kept, but not standings.

We have had seven games (2-3-2), one scrimmage, three sessions in a batting cage, and four practices on a field, which have been 75-90 minutes long.

After the last game she informed that she isn't happy with the girls' progress, defensively, and she would be taking over batting order, practice plans, and defensive assignments. She will also be finding someone to mentor me as a coach.

Her main gripes are:

• Some players are batting more than others, so she wants to use the same batting order all season.
  • I am "pigeonholing players" by not letting them play every position.
  • They don't know where to throw the ball when it comes to them.
  • I had the girls play "pepper" 3/4 swing with whiffle balls before the last game. (I was the only coach on the field, so couldn't do our typical warm up.)
  • I don't "coach enough" during games.

My counter arguments are:

• The teams we play maximize their batting order and we have players who are scared of getting hit.
  • I think we should let the girls develop confidence and not set them up to fail. If a girl can't throw from third to first, she shouldn't play third until her arm is stronger. If a girl can't catch, she shouldn't play first until she has learned to catch. Every girl who wants to pitch has pitched (except for my daughter) and no one hasn't been allowed to play a position they want to try.
  • They will have a better chance of learning how to react in game situations by only learning two or three positions. (Everyone plays outfield and infield in every game)
  • I let them know where to throw, how many outs, "two strikes, anything close," and explain situations, that kind of thing. I don't coach technique during games. The girls have enough to think about without someone telling her what to do with her elbow.

As far as the mentor thing goes. I have a minor in athletic coaching, and coaching certifications from two different groups, I have coached for twenty years (baseball, football, volleyball, and softball) from YMCA to High School Varsity and my assistant coach has been coaching softball for five years.

My questions are:
What would you do?
Is it even ethical to put players in positions that they aren't ready to handle?
What kind of improvement can, realistically be expected in the amount of time we've had?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think the problem is coming from, not knowing who is in charge. When I coached LL, the manager was top dog. I would find out if in deed, she is in charge.

A team mom/dad was normally called that, in my experience.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
We had the exact same situation happen last season in our league. My wife and I were the division reps for them, so we had to handle it. Fortunatly for us, we have written into our league rules what the responsibilities for everyone are, from managers and coaches all the way up to president of the board. Coaches had control of the team on the field during games and practices, so that was the end of that. Since it was a rec league, I asked the coach to at least include the manager in discussions about practice and game strategy, but in the end he had the final say.

What should you do? Are there rules in place to deal with this? Yes or no you should have a division rep or a player agent that needs to be brought into this. At 10u it seems like your manager may have some unrealistic expectations for where these girls should be at.

As far as playing them at positions, if they can play it without putting themselves in harms way, let them play it. Based on your statement you have had 7 practices and 7 games, and 3 of those were batting only. Seems like the only way they are going to improve in the field is with some in game experience and in game coaching.
And with that little practice and the age of the girls, I would say that the expected improvement would be not much.

Just remember your manager is a volunteer just like you. Hopefully this can get worked out and you guys can move on without having an uncomfortable situation for the rest of the season.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
i think the problem is coming from, not knowing who is in charge. When I coached LL, the manager was top dog. I would find out if in deed, she is in charge.
...agree with Amy...

This is REC league. It seems to me that you don't get the purpose of REC ( as in -- RECREATIONAL--)
softball. If you want something more advanced, go play travel ball.

So, on to your points:

The teams we play maximize their batting order and we have players who are scared of getting hit.

I agree with the Manager. You are coaching a bunch of 10YOA kids...come on. Your batting order is the least of your worries. In Rec, I used to bat kids in the order they got to the game. It had absolutely no effect on winning or losing games.

I think we should let the girls develop confidence and not set them up to fail. If a girl can't throw from third to first, she shouldn't play third until her arm is stronger. If a girl can't catch, she shouldn't play first until she has learned to catch. Every girl who wants to pitch has pitched (except for my daughter) and no one hasn't been allowed to play a position they want to try. They will have a better chance of learning how to react in game situations by only learning two or three positions. (Everyone plays outfield and infield in every game)

Generally, it sounds like what you are doing is OK. Question: Are you having some players play one position for the entire game?

And this "learning a position" stuff sounds a little strange for 10U rec ball. It is not like some girl playing 2B if she moves to SS is suddenly going to have trouble turning a double play.

I let them know where to throw, how many outs, "two strikes, anything close," and explain situations, that kind of thing. I don't coach technique during games. The girls have enough to think about without someone telling her what to do with her elbow.

Agree that you should tell them the situation. I disagree with not teaching technique during the game. After all, that is the purpose of rec league.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
This is a screwed up situation. Sounds to me you are doing all the right things. This is a good question of who is in charge. I could not coach a team with some neophyte babysitter calling the shots for me. I'm surprised you're allowed to coach the players without thier union rep being in the room.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
This is my first year with this league and was under the impression that the Manager was a team mom, responsible for safety, communication, etc. In our pre-season meeting she told the coaches (both first time in this league) that she would leave softball to us and support our decisions.

You thought the manager was the team mom, but would a team mom tell you that she's leaving the softball to you? That might've been the first hint that she saw her role differently than you did.

Also, if the Team Manager must be a female, is the league saying that the ultimate boss of each team must be a woman? That doesn't sound right.

I agree that the first order of business is clarifying who is officially in charge.

If it's the team mom, it's too bad that she broke her promise of leaving the softball to you. She should've explained the expectations from the beginning about batting order and lineup. I'm not impressed with that.

If she's not in charge, then continue to run the team the way you like.

It's always fun debating how to run a 10U team, but I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. Would I do it differently? I'm sure, but there's nothing you're doing that is out of line, IMO. There are pros and cons with all these decisions.

And finally, I don't mind someone who questions my decisions and wants to discuss them. But I'd resent someone who said they'd stay out of the way, then told you she was taking over. I'd consider quitting, frankly.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
Sluggers,
How does he not get the purpose of rec ball?

And I don't know how long it's been since you coached a 10u rec team, but your batting lineup can play a major part in winning and losing. Obviously the goal is to get all your girls hitting, but I don't see where the "bat wherever play wherever" attitude services anyone, rec or not.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
If you are 'coaching to win' 10U rec ball, you are not doing it right!

And I disagree with this statement also. Is winning the top priority? no. Is teaching the girls to play the game of softball? yes. When you play a game where score is kept, you try to win. If not maybe everyone should bat through the lineup every time, one base at a time and dont count outs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Seems pretty straightforward to me. Either you are 100% charge or not and you need to find out from the people running the league what exactly the situation is.

If it turns out you are in charge you are well within your rights to tell her that is the case and while you are happy to listen to her suggestions it will be your decision how the team will be run. And that you will not be stepping down from your role or adding to what she currently provides.

If it turns out you are not in charge or that the league is not going to support you, I'd completely step away from any role with the team as a coach or manager or even someone who helps at practice. You have a situation that is not going to go well when it not clear who the authority figure actually is if you are now both there and roles have changed. If she wants to be the head coach and run things and that is the leagues decision, then let her. Up to you whether your DD continues to play for the team or not (that is a different decision).

When I coach I am either 100% in charge or 100% not in charge. There is no middle ground. If I am not the head coach I will assist/help however the head coach wants me to and provide input when asked or take responsibility for whatever is needed in support of the head coaches decision.

BTW, I am pretty comfortable with how you are approaching a rec-10U team with a wide mix of experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi