Better video of DD hitting - tips welcome :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Hitting practice last week...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jWpomDGDKt0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I like how athletic she is.
To me the swing looks to be more upper body driven. The speed of her swing is out in front. Try to stop her bat right at impact on 2 swings and look at all the body parts and the position of them.
RDbass or Perfect Circle, can you do this for the OP and me to look at?

How can we get the swing to impact the ball around the heel of the front foot as the impact point on a pitch down the middle?
The lead arm will be alot closer to the body at impact

Watch the hands and the back hip on rotation. How fast does the hands fly past the back hip? Should the hips rotate farther before the hands fly past?

Couple things to look at. IMO

Straightleg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Her bat speed is all out front. She is really pushing with her arms and swinging with her chest. She needs to swing with her back and hit the ball deeper. She'll hit it even harder when she gets that sequence correct.

She looks like a heck of an athlete.

Oct 12, 2009
You are correct. She is tippy-toeing at contact.

To get into this in more detail, I prefer that my hitters take balls during BP rather than swinging at any piece of crap that's close.

I used to watch Manny Ramirez take BP and it was striking how many balls he took (during BP).

How are you supposed to be patient and get a good pitch to hit in a game if you are practicing hitting balls in BP?

Last edited:
R

RayR

Could not agree more with this - our game plan revolves around only swinging at your zone pitch with less than 2 strikes and when ahead in the count tighten that zone up even more....you learn your zone pitch in practice....

To get into this in more detail, I prefer that my hitters take pitches during BP rather than swinging at any piece of crap that's close.

I used to watch Manny Ramirez take BP and it was striking how many balls he took (during BP).

How are you supposed to be patient and get a good pitch to hit in a game if you are practicing hitting balls?

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Talking to kids about there hitting zone is very important in practice... The single worst thing you can do to a hitter in games is yell or scream when they swing at a bad pitch.. I actually thank them for being aggressive... If you scream or yell during games you might as we'll take the bat out of there hands. All aggressiveness will be lost out of fear of letting there coach or parent down.

Apr 24, 2012
5ese4i.gif

Feb 14, 2010
Thanks NBD. This gif shows exactly what I was referring to as frontside being the driver in her swing. Her front side pulls her backside forward. She's obviously very athletic and that's the hardest piece to the puzzle. For clarification when I say frontside I mean the entire front of the body, not just just the front leg/hip.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1