Best way to set up a change up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008
If she can hit spots with her change, have her throw it low and away in the zone. Never inside or up in the zone.

Sep 4, 2009
If she can hit spots with her change, have her throw it low and away in the zone. Never inside or up in the zone.
I agree...In fact for 12u I really prefer that it be out of the zone.....Started at the outside black to a right handed hitter and landing on the catcher's right toe is exactly what I'm looking for. In this location if it's hit at all, it's usually foul.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She does have a slight tell that hitters are not picking up on yet. I don't want to change anything now, I would rather wait until after season so as not to mess her up.

So, you aren't there to improve players?

Or is it that there is too much at stake since we are, after all, talking about 12U softball?

Mar 13, 2010

Or is it that there is too much at stake since we are, after all, talking about 12U softball?

Not speaking for the OP, but in my experience that stuff is better to change in the off season so as not to throw the pitcher off. Last season they did a pitching clinic in the middle of the season, and taught all the girls how to leap and drag. They all got an extra 5km in speed, which is fantastic! Only problem is that their strikes are few and far between. Drove me crazy.

OP, if her arm is slower when doing a change-up the batters who are belting it are noticing it. One of the girls I played as a teenager had a change up where this happened. I'd hit her for a home run every time. Its extreemly noticable to any decent batter. If you're not going to change it now, I would either accept that she's going to get hit on it. Otherwise pull it out.

I don't think with change-ups that its going to affect her that much to have it changed mid-season. You're not changing too much with the change-up for it to affect her whole motion. I wouldn't wait to change it, because once its 'normal' for her, its very hard to break.

Aug 2, 2008

Always tyring to pick a fight:)

If I wasnt trying to improve her, I wouldnt be asking. Wins mean very little to me, its all about player development for the future. Kids however see it differently they need wins to keep engaged, and changing mid season can be risky to a young girls confidence in herself, and trust in her coach. I once heard a wise man say "do what got you there, then change if you must" Sluggers. Long story on her. She is new to our team and a great kid. She gains confidence every week, she is comfortable with how she throws so I am taking baby steps. SO BACK OFF OLD MAN!!!!! Just kidding. I appreciate your candor, you have what can't be purchased in a lesson....expierence.

Thanks, we will start working on it now.

Hal, 3 weeks ago the third base coach picked up her tell and would yell to his batters it was coming but it didnt help. I just kept laughing at him.

Aug 21, 2008
Mike

as she gets older, GOOD hitters will lick their chops if they know what pitch is coming. if she's got a hole in her delivery and giving away pitches... it's better to close it NOW. The fact this coach was yelling the pitches and the team couldn't hit them says as much about how BAD they were as it does about how good the pitching was! Fix it now for a long term benefit.

Bill

Jan 27, 2010
Correcting the "tell" on her change-up should not require a major change in her mechanics like changing to a leap and drag in the middle of the season. Correct it now. I always referred to this as a giving it away.I have not heard the term "tell", but it does get to the point.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles