Best Way to Mentally Prepare for Tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Tryouts for our 12U program are coming up and I was wondering what others have done to mentally prepare their kids. She's done her offseason work, etc. But I want to alleviate as much stress as possible about the "evaluation" piece of the tryout. What should I say or not say? Etc.

Any ideas?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Life lesson time...

First, help her put a name on her feelings. Help her understand the difference between "excited" and "nervous/scared". Being excited: OK. Being nervous/scared: Not OK. When she feels the adrenalin kick-in, she'll think, "I'm excited about being here! Woo hoo!" rather than "I'm scared of being here! Boo hoo!"

Second: Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. Nothing reduces anxiety like knowing she can bunt, hit and field ground balls in her sleep. Set up a practice plan leading up to the try out. What is she going to do each day of the week before the tryouts? What is she going to do the day of the tryouts?

Third: Teach her about failure and how to deal with it. "When knocked down six times, get up seven." What's the plan if she bombs? What will she do? Discuss it with her.

There is a great documentary called, "Joan Rivers: A work in progress". A huge part of the film shows her failing at something she holds very dear. Then, she recognizes the failure, she mourns a little, and then she gets right back on the bucking bronco to try again. After that failure, she then undertakes a project where her odds of success are almost zero. It is really amazing to see someone fail so completely, and then shake it off and try again.

Fourth: Challenge her to do her best. With my DDs, I always asked, "Are you going to put on a show they will remember? Are they going to be saying, "Who the h*ll was she?" when you are done?"

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
sluggers,

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes when you're in the fog with your DD you get tunnel vision and forget some of the big picture items.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
EP Dad,

Don't remember who, but someone a couple years ago, recomended I read a book called "Winning State-Softball" by Steve Knight. One of the best books I've read about the mental aspect of the game. My dd read it after I did and she loved it also. It's very well written with illistrations and easy to read. I recomend reading it.

Sluggers post reminded me of it when he mentioned the difference between exited and nervous/scared. This book teaches you how to controll these feelings. Well worth the time.

Apr 13, 2010
EP Dad,

Don't remember who, but someone a couple years ago, recomended I read a book called "Winning State-Softball" by Steve Knight. One of the best books I've read about the mental aspect of the game. My dd read it after I did and she loved it also. It's very well written with illistrations and easy to read. I recomend reading it.

Sluggers post reminded me of it when he mentioned the difference between exited and nervous/scared. This book teaches you how to controll these feelings. Well worth the time.

Ordered. Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12