Best Time to Learn Slapping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2008
My 14 year old DD has been showing some interest in learning how to slap. I was wondering if now in the Fall would be the best time to learn this and then go back to regular hitting and slapping in the Spring again before the season starts.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
Fall is a good time. Is she already a leftie? If not, when she goes to the left side, leave her there. Don't let her switch back and forth. I've seen some coaches that turn a hitter back to the right side with 2 strikes. Almost always, they will strike out. You see the ball differently on the right side from the left and they're already in the hole when turning to the right side. Slappers should learn to swing away from the left as well as slap. It will take almost a year for her to hit with as much power from the left as she does from the right. If she's fast and becomes a proficient slapper, it's well worth the time and effort to be a more well rounded hitter. If she's a power hitter with a good average or isn't fast, I wouldn't take the time.

Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the input. She is not a leftie, but that makes sense about staying on the left to hit. She is not a power hitter and has average speed which we have been working on. Thanks again.

Sep 3, 2009
This would be a great time. Her avg will tank for a while... but stay with it. When she starts showing some success from the left, move and stay there. Lessons would definitely speed up the learning curve. I tried to teach my dd myself, there is just too much out there, and it's quite frankly, a skill that takes alot of good instruction. Should be easy to hook up with a former college slapper, or a HS slapper in your area looking to make a few bucks. There are alot of good drills out there, make sure she is working hard at it. Once a week won't cut it. Took my dd about 3-4 mos to be totally comfortable on the left side, and the avg to surpass what it was on the right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid