Best Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
I love the screwball. My DD was predominately a screw and rise pitcher. She faced teams that would stand in the back of the box to try and take that pitch away from her, but a few outside pitches and then grooving the SB in on them usually solved the problem. Don't let the other team take away your best pitch. Adjust.
She did have to keep her rise low, since she threw so many.

All my older pitchers have screwballs and they have the hardest time getting their coaches to call them in games. For some reason, it's not a pitch taught by most of the PC's around here so the coaches stick to what their daughters throw.
The only pitcher I have that throws a lot of screwballs is the one that has the dad as the head coach.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
If she throws an effective drop-batter moves forward in the box to take it away.
Adjust to what the batter does regarding stance etc. When she crowds, go inside,
slapper-throw outside. Manage the game throwing only what is effective

Mar 18, 2009
La Crosse WI
In starting a pitcher beyond the fastball and change, I tend to think in terms of rise vs drop. If you simplify the approach to odds of success with either one, this is my approach.
1. A rise is more effective than a drop in terms of a hitter's ability to adjust to the movement.
2. A rise that isn't moving effectively is easier to hit hard.
3. A rise with poor movement will be hit very far -- extra bases.
4. A rise just barely in the strike zone will not be swung at by good batters.
5. A rise in the strike zone stands a 50:50 chance of being called a ball.
6. A rise just barely close to the strike zone has zero chance of being called a ball.
7. A rise thrown for a 3rd strike will result in a strike only on a swinging effort by the batter.
7. A drop with minimal movement may be hit hard but with greater chance of being an out
8. A drop that results in a hit will likely be less damaging i.e. a single or double, not a HR
9. A drop that misses low has a high percentage shot of being called a strike
10. A drop can be thrown several ways, including off speed and with a break (risers are thrown one way - hard)
11. A drop that is low is still enticing to the batter and results in a high percent of swings
12. A high drop can be devastating -- the batter never thinks a high pitch is going to drop.
So....... teaching a drop early in a pitcher's development instead of a rise is more productive.
(PS... I was almost exclusively a high ball pitcher).
Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild