Being trown out of game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Never have been, but likely could have. I've since "matured" but I can't believe when I asked both Umps "how can both of you not know
the rule" didn't get me tossed. Even worse was when I asked to see the UIC and the guy who made the first call said it was him. After saying "How did you
become? " our AC gave me a look and I just walked away.

Feb 22, 2013
I was tossed from a softball game after our 1st baseman picked up a fair ball and went to apply a tag, with both hands on the ball, and the runner threw both hands up, through the glove and hand on the ball, and dislodged the ball 6 to 8 feet in the air. Next pitch, the runner led off and there was a throw to 1st base, which the runner returned to 1st base safely but shoved my 1st baseman off of the bag as she applied the tag. Next pitch, the ball was hit to 2nd base and our 2nd baseman picked up the ball and went to apply the tag and the runner ran through the 2nd baseman and threw both of her hands down, through the glove and hand on the ball, and dislodged it for a second time in the inning, preventing our second baseman from attempting a double play.

I went out to why it wasn't interference on the runner for intentionally dislodging the ball from a fielder and the umpire told me that it was poor coaching, that the second baseman should have thrown the ball to 2nd base and avoided any contact with the base runner and if the fielder is going to apply the tag that it is her responsibility to hold on to the ball regardless of what the base runner does. I lost the argument and was also tossed. I saw the same umpire a couple more times that year and was tossed in both of those games as well. After the 1st run in, I couldn't coach when he was on the field.

Jun 1, 2013
I coach 120+ ballgames a year, I get kicked about twice a year. Sometimes it's my mouth, sometimes it's the umps and then it's mine. Last time I was kicked it was over a pitching lane violation. (Not marked) Yes he was probably 100% correct but I prefer home plate to call balls and strikes and when he can get that right then he can call the other stuff. That is not a widely held opinion and if you have that opinion, don't share with home ump. ��

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Never as a coach, a couple times as a player.

One time as a player was BS: I was playing 2B, yapped at the base umpire, and he told me to shut up or he'd toss me. I didn't say another word. Between innings he came to tell my coach I was warned and then walked away. The coach asked me what happened, and I just said I didn't like the calls, blah blah. Umpire was halfway across the field, ejected me. I never swore or raised my voice, and when he tossed me I was in the dugout talking to the coach. There was no way he even heard what I was saying at that point.

The other time was an accident, but deserved: Only a plate umpire. Called me out at first on a pick-off play. I was done diving back, hand on the base, when the 1B tagged me in the face. So, in anger, I meant to just toss my helmet toward our dugout. It somehow sailed over the backstop. I know how that sounds. It probably looked like I was throwing it at the ump, but I wasn't. He tossed me, and I apologized after the game and told him I understood the ejection but I wasn't throwing the helmet in his direction on purpose.

I allllmost got tossed for the first time as a coach a couple weeks ago. The girl on second was leaving the base very, very early every time. One time our pitcher was on her backswing. So I said she was leaving early. Multiple pitches go by, and each one she's 3-5 feet off the base before the pitcher releases. Home plate ump never calls it, then says he was watching the whole time. I said something accurate but probably disrespectful, he warned me, so I shut up. At that point, what do you even do? This wasn't a close call. This multiple pitches of the girl basically taking a baseball lead-off. He said he was watching (I would have accepted "I have to watch the pitch and didn't see it"). So he just straight-up lied and then would have buddy-buddy chats with the other team between every inning. Guess that's the price you pay for being a new team in an established league.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD has been umpiring for 4 years, she was certified ASA last summer and spent all of this summer (when she wasn't playing) umpiring ASA. She and her partner had to throw a coach out of a 10U tournament game this summer for strenuously arguing (yelling derogatory remarks, getting in the umpire's face, refusing to let her daughter go to the dugout) an out called against her daughter for violating the look back rule - a rule that had been explained to both coaches over and over again throughout the summer. Pitcher was in the circle with the ball and her foot on the rubber, runner was going back to first and the coach (1st base coach) told her to go. For an added bonus, the tournament had a rule that if a coach was ejected, they had a minute to leave the field, if they didn't leave they got a final warning, and if they didn't leave within the next 30 seconds their team forfeited the game. Well the coach wouldn't leave - said that since she was a parent she had a right to sit in the stands. DD and her partner contacted the tournament director and their boss and called the game. Sad thing for the players - they were up 12-0 and it was an elimination game so they were knocked out of the tournament.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Niece started umpiring a few years ago, apparently she had enough but the person in charge talked her into doing it again.

Brother in-law goes and watches her ump occasionally, supprised he has not been in a fight yet. :) leaves her alone.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Came close once but the umpires mouth got me out of it. Coaching 8U coach pitch and the girls got five pitches. I'm pitching and I have thrown the hitter three pitches. I tell her you have two more and the umpire does not say fifth pitch as the normal protocol was. The girl takes the next pitch and the umpire called her out. I calmly at first explained it was the fourth pitch and he told me no it was the fifth. I asked the base umpire for help and he told me he couldn't override him. I said a couple of smart things and was standing on the plate between the hitter that was called out and my on deck hitter when the ump called my a "F-ing Smarta@@" load enough the moms in both sets of bleachers heard him. At that point I sent the two girls to the dugout and came absolutely unglued. Billy Martin would have been proud of me and with both sets of parents cheering me on I laid it on heavy. Less about the call and more about how terrible he was for using that language in front of 7 and 8yo girls. The field ump who I knew eventually got me calmed down and away from the guy. After the game the UIC came and found me and apologized for the umps behavior and to let me know he had been removed from calling any games in the future.

Other couple of times I could have got tossed another assistant got blamed. We had a very inconsistent plate umpire and our pitching coach had made a couple of comments. When he rang one of our girls up on a pitch above her eyes I simply said terrible and really not that loud. He thought it was our pitching coach and tossed him. The other time we had a guy miss a couple of easy calls and I asked him if he needed help on a ground out where a girls was out by ten feet. He thought it was the HC and tossed him then figured out it was me and called me a smart a@@. I wasn't even trying to ride him or anything and it was said to lighten things up with him jokingly and away from everyone.

May 6, 2015
Came close once but the umpires mouth got me out of it. Coaching 8U coach pitch and the girls got five pitches. I'm pitching and I have thrown the hitter three pitches. I tell her you have two more and the umpire does not say fifth pitch as the normal protocol was..

umpires for 8u coach pitch, let alone two umpires! we never had umpires for 8u (pretty much only rec aroound here granted). of course this led to some pretty interesting discussions during games between coaches. once foul ball pop up right behind home plate, opposing catcher caught it, I called my batter out. opposing coach wanted to let her continue to hit. but I wanted it as a real teachable moment (ie move to get those fly balls even if foul, catchers to pop up, etc.). and I wanted to reward her catcher for making a good play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414