Batter/Runner Dives into First Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
So the Brazilian 400 meter Olympian, Shaunee Miller, took the Gold over the USA favorite by diving across the finish line. The rules say the finish time is when any part of the torso crosses the line. I saw the umpteen photos, she won by about a foot, 0.07 seconds faster than USA's Allyson Felix. Miller said she didn't think about diving, it seems she acted instinctively.

My baseball coaches (I never played MLB but played a lot of ball) prohibited the sliding into first thing. Some said they'd bench us if we did it. Their argument seemed reasonable: diving is for avoiding a tag on a pick attempt or steal and is not faster than sprinting through first base (the fielder's throwing error and batter-runner's advance to second is withheld for another discussion).

I told my DW about Miller's gold medal and what my baseball coaches told me. Then this morning I'm looking at a World Cup softball video from China v. Phillipines, and a fast Chinese batter dives safely into first base on an infield grounder. I've seen it done before a few times in baseball and in fastpitch.

Now I'm questioning what I was coached over 20 years... Can fast runners reach first base sooner by diving (disclaimer: my DD is NOT fast) or by running through. All else equal, first inning and score is 0 - 0.

What say you DFPers?

Mar 26, 2013
Sliding into 1B is definitely slower and diving is close to running through - Sport Science studied it. Diving worked for the sprinter because she got the initial benefit without the subsequent deceleration if she had to touch a base at the finish line like base runners have to.

Feb 3, 2011
You slide into 1B headfirst to avoid a high tag when an errant throw pulls the defender up the line.

I suppose I could see an argument for the really savvy vet believing that going in headfirst on an infield grounder will grant them benefit of the doubt on a close call, but they'll definitely arrive later than if they'd gone in standing up.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Throwing your torso over is faster. Getting all the way down to touch the base is not. If there is another factor besides speed (avoiding the tag) then you weigh options differently..

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
Throwing your torso over is faster. Getting all the way down to touch the base is not. If there is another factor besides speed (avoiding the tag) then you weigh options differently..

I think this sums up the key issue very well ... it's different thrusting forward over an imaginary finish line that extends upward than it is diving down into a base. As mentioned above, it only makes sense to avoid a high tag up the line ... not to mention the risk of injury jumping onto a hard stationery object ... ask Kenny Lofton about that when it ended his playoff season back in the mid 90s.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If diving at first base was faster we would see it a lot in the MLB and college.

I am of the opinion that this runner was going to win anyway, started her lean a bit early and wound up tumbling forward. I'm not so sure she did this on purpose. Rarely do you see a world class athlete attempt something in a big moment that they have never done before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619