Batter plows first base don’t understand

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2013
I agree with Dmystified. Batter started on inside of line and at contact was in foul territory. Fielder came to the line hard for a tag. Fielder put her body in the line of contact, not just her glove and ball. Contact should have been avoided but in this video the fielder is the aggressor. I bet ump wouldn't call it the same way twice. I have no questions why the coach was thrown out. You throw a girl in front of my runner and then blame my runner for contact while she is in foul territory, I am gonna argue in a not nice way and get tossed.
Teach a kid how to tag without putting their body in the path of a moving person. If the batter/runner was smaller, she would have been leveled and 1st would have been ejected. Look at the hard angle she takes to the line, no way she stopped before contact would have been made by her. The runner saw someone getting ready to hit her and braced for contact, not lowering shoulder. I can almost guarantee ump would have ejected 1st if she bowled over a smaller runner.

Look how closer her feet are to the line at contact. No way her upper body didn't cross over the line to make contact
That's ridiculous. She was just bracing for contact and levelled the fielder? You can't be serious.
This is always a dead ball out. If the fielder has the ball and is waiting to make the tag, the runner may not remain upright and crash into the fielder. If contact is deemed malicious, an ejection is warranted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jun 1, 2013
That's ridiculous. She was just bracing for contact and levelled the fielder? You can't be serious.
This is always a dead ball out. If the fielder has the ball and is waiting to make the tag, the runner may not remain upright and crash into the fielder. If contact is deemed malicious, an ejection is warranted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I invite you to rewatch the video and see where everyone is at contact. Contact was initiated by the fielder. No way she should be across that line to have that much contact made. Learn how to apply a tag. Fielder's in fair territory, runs to fowl territory, contact is made with runner, runners fault.....yeah sounds logical to me.

Feb 18, 2014
I can make points without having to make comments about someone, and i can have a discussion without insults. It truly is amazing.

Did the runner go to the right at contact? That's all I ask????? if yes, then I believe the runner didn't want to plow into someone.

I also dont think the coach has anything to do with the play.
When my 90# daughter playing first base, reaches for bad throw and lays out a runner 20# heavier, without losing her footing, it's obvious they weren't being coached with a pigskin ball. That hit belongs on monday night football and can't be rationalized.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

osagedr

Canadian Fastpitch Dad
Oct 20, 2016
I wasn't aware softball was played under MMA rules.

I agree with the ump's decision to toss player and coach.

Insta-ejection for the player.

For me the coach is not automatic unless s/he gets too vocal as a result of the ejection. The coach didn't run into anyone.

Wow after re-watching a few times look how ridiculously far in the infield that batter is running. She's well into the grass. Starts out running almost straight at the second baseman; about 3/4 of the way down the line (not that she's anywhere close to the line) takes one step back toward the proper basepath, then veers back at the first baseman and intentionally initiates violent contact.

Last edited:

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I invite you to rewatch the video and see where everyone is at contact. Contact was initiated by the fielder. No way she should be across that line to have that much contact made. Learn how to apply a tag. Fielder's in fair territory, runs to fowl territory, contact is made with runner, runners fault.....yeah sounds logical to me.

The fielder never went into fowl territory and the runner's right foot landed (for the first time) in fowl territory a fraction of a second before contact.

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Looks like intentional contact by the runner. Either lowering the shoulder and or a forearm shiver. It originally looked like the 1B was reaching to tag the runner but playing it back and forth a few times (using , and .) it looks more like she has tagged the base, and has begun to turn to pick up the runner's location and readying a throw. Given the situation, it's really a strong possibility the runner took the angle to the bag on purpose and the contact was an attempt to knock the ball out. Which also suggests this was instructed.

Just this last weekend at fall ball I overheard another team's coach instruct his players they are to always slide into home unless told "up!" and he continued to instruct them they are to swat at the catcher's glove to try to knock the ball out.

Later that day, DD's team was playing a game against a different team and DD's team was on defense. Runner begins slide into home, arm out horizontally, parallel with body but up, like a stiff arm was coming. Throw home coming at the same time, slide already initiated, catcher didn't catch it, then the runner's stiff arm goes straight to the catchers head. Ump calls the runner out and out of the game, no hesitation. No argument from coach but later I heard the coach stated something about the runner had been hurt on a slide before and this was more of a result of being defensive.

So you never know what you'll come across.

May 4, 2016
Looks to me like unintentional contact. When the 1B starts up the line for the tag there is only a step maybe two between the girls. In that short of distance there is no time for a runner to stop. You have two players moving at speed directly towards each other, sometimes accidents happen.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
There is nothing unintentional about that contact. Runner lowered the shoulder, in fair territory, and trucked the fielder. I don't know how anyone is seeing anything different.

Ejection for the player was warranted, zero question about it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00