Batter Interference Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
Ok please excuse my ignorance on this one.

Runner on first. She gets the steal sign. Batter moves way back in batters box. She shows bunt then pulls back. With the intention of making it difficult for catcher to throw runner out at second. Say as the batter is pulling back from the bunt she hits catcher with the bat.

Is that interference by the catcher?

Dec 12, 2009
CT
Ok please excuse my ignorance on this one.

Runner on first. She gets the steal sign. Batter moves way back in batters box. She shows bunt then pulls back. With the intention of making it difficult for catcher to throw runner out at second. Say as the batter is pulling back from the bunt she hits catcher with the bat.

Is that interference by the catcher?

Assume you mean interference by the batter. As long as the batter stays in the batters box, and does not go out of her way to hit the catcher, I would guess there is no interference.

Feb 9, 2009
yes, from everything I know.
Happened to us twice in a tournament. As long as the batter is in the box, their bat should NEVER be touched by the catcher's glove.
Interference on the catcher...batter takes a base.

Jun 22, 2008
Pulling the bat back? No, it is only catchers obstruction if contact occurs with the bat while they are swinging at the ball. Pulling the bat back is not swinging at the ball. And, if the umpire feels the pull back was exagerated in an attempt to interfere with the catcher receiving the ball or making a throw, intereference can be ruled on the batter.

Dec 12, 2009
CT
No I meant is it interference by the catcher?

The offense interferes...the defense obstructs. It is only catcher obstruction if the batter is swinging at a pitched ball (as described above by Comp). Otherwise batters could fake a bunt, and purposely bring the bat back and hit the catcher's mitt in order to get on base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy