Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Due to a conflict with a middle school event both my DDs rec team and the opposing team agreed to change our Saturday game time from the normal 9 and 11 to 4:30 and 6:30. Prior to the start of the 6:30 game the field lights were switched on as dusk was approaching. The top of the 1st inning went off without a hitch but then we had a commotion just after the start of the bottom of the 1st. My DDs team was visitors and our defense took their normal positions. About a minute or two into the inning the left fielder starts screaming and runs into the infield at full speed (mental note: have coach speak with left fielder about hustling after fly balls now that I saw her incredible speed). Umpire calls time and several of us, including myself bolt, to left field. We live in an area with many critters and we have had rattle snakes, tarantulas and scorpions on the fields in the past. Upon initial inspection there was nothing on the ground aside from the grass and perhaps a gopher. The coach calls to the left fielder and asks her what was the problem. At the top of her lungs she screams, "BATS!!!!!". We look up and sure enough there were several bats above us feeding on the bugs attracted to the lights. Apparently one had swooped down a bit to close to her and freaked her out completely. She ended up sitting out the rest of the game as she couldn't get her focus back.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
We've had bats on our field at night, for 8:30 and later games. Scary thing, they are attracted to the ball because of the sonar. We've got fruit bats around here, so they are harmless other than the rabies risk.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Did the umpire have the presence of mind to confirm that they had the ASA 2004 stamp, or did he throw them out of the game. LOL. I think there's a possible home field advantage to be gained from the situation - just randomly wave at the air every once in a while and casually mention to a girl on the other team that your LF was attacked by a vampire bat last game and see how well the focus the rest of the game;)

Just when you think you've seen it all...

GM

Mar 22, 2010
Eww! I hate bats worse than anything. I don't blame the child for not wanting to go back out there. I know they are a wonderful thing to have around to eat bugs and mosquitos but I want them to do it when I'm nowhere around. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619