Bat Question about weight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2014
My Daughter just moved up to 12u. She used a 31/21 LXT all of last year. She did pretty good with it but since she has moved up, she has struggled with the faster pitchers. I was thinking of getting her the 2015 Xeno 31/20 -11. Do you think I should go to a lighter bat or just try improve her swing and bat speed with the -10 she has been swinging? Is going to a lighter bat bad?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would prefer she stays with her current bat but if she can get her hands on the Xeno and hits it well switch. :)

LTX swings light, I am not sure the -11 Xeno will swing lighter for her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
31/21 seems like a pretty big stick for a young U12. I'd go to a 30/20 before a 31/20; however, often times the struggle with faster pitching is a swing mechanics issue more so than a bat size issue.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
31/21 seems like a pretty big stick for a young U12. I'd go to a 30/20 before a 31/20; however, often times the struggle with faster pitching is a swing mechanics issue more so than a bat size issue.

I have a hard time judging proper bat size on age alone. Here is too much variation in size and strength. My DD and 2 of her 10U teammates swing 31" bats.

However, I completely agree about swing mechanics issues. This is a MUCH more likely reason for struggles with fast pitching. Mental approach could also be a possibility.

Oct 18, 2014
Thanks for the replies. It probably is more of a mechanics problem. She is not a petite 11 year old. She is strong for her age. We have spent way more time on pitching and not enough on batting. I know very little about batting. But from listening to y'all's replies, I think I will find someone to work with her on mechanics or focus before just dropping to a lighter bat.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Finding a local hitting coach is a good idea.

Another option is to post video of your DD's swing for feedback and suggestions from the DFP hitting geeks, educate yourself on improved mechanics, and work with her yourself.

Jun 11, 2012

It really depends on the kid. I have a 5'2" 90 lb kid and she swings a 33/23 without difficulty.

I don't think a 31/20 Xeno is going to swing all that lighter (and possibly heavier than a LXT. If you are looking for a lighter swing maybe have her try a DeMarini CX7

Dec 11, 2010
Working on mechanics is a great plan, that is what I would do especially if your season is over. If the mechanics are there, bat weight comes down to her personal preference.

Even without seeing her, I am going to guess it is timing. Hitter, (Howard Carrier) posts about how when you are at the plate you "dance with the pitcher". Tell her when the pitcher moves, you move. Search his old posts. They are a gold mine of practical advice. Another great way to explain it is to "load slow and early". FFS posted a great vid of a mlb hitter who changed this one thing with his swing and it helped immensely. Both of the above things helped my daughters a lot. One swings a -10 balanced bat and one swings a heavy log of a bat. It works for both. (My second year 12 dd swings a 32/22 Rocketflex that is close to 24 ounces.)

There is great info on this site that will help too. Well planned tee work at home is free, free, free and is probably the best thing you can do for a young hitter in between lessons.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez