Bat help.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
DD11 is currently swinging a CF6 -11 31inch bat. It's only been used since last spring but I do live in fear that she will break it or it will die, so I am thinking of a new bat for Christmas or just keeping eyes on prices for a deal. Planning to move her to -10. She is 5'4 and about 125 lbs. Should we be looking for a 32 inch or would the 2 ounce difference be too much of a jump and maybe 31 is the way to go? She does have a 32 -10 CF6 and she just doesn't love it, I don't know it is the size or the lack of pop compared to the -11.

Dec 11, 2010
You will hear all kinds of stuff about how to size a bat correctly. There are charts and all. Here is the one that I really like: if you measure the width of her shoulders and multiply by 2 you will be very close.

My other rule is that an ounce too heavy is better than an inch too long. Go with a -10 that is 2x the width of her shoulders and you can't go wrong.

Never, ever buy a bat "she can grow into". Right now is what is important in hitting. I also hate the idea of a choke up knob. Just like shoes, if a bat is too big, it is too big.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Get her a Xeno!!

-10 and have fun with it.

You're recommending a bat that is nearly 3 oz. over her current bat? Not so sure about that one.

The best thing you can do is have her swing as many bats as she can - teammates, store demos, etc. - and find one she likes the feel of. Based on her height, my best guess is that a 32" is probably right.

Jul 25, 2015
DD11 is currently swinging a CF6 -11 31inch bat. It's only been used since last spring but I do live in fear that she will break it or it will die, so I am thinking of a new bat for Christmas or just keeping eyes on prices for a deal. Planning to move her to -10. She is 5'4 and about 125 lbs. Should we be looking for a 32 inch or would the 2 ounce difference be too much of a jump and maybe 31 is the way to go? She does have a 32 -10 CF6 and she just doesn't love it, I don't know it is the size or the lack of pop compared to the -11.

If you already have a 32" -10, I would not buy another bat just to sit around waiting for her current bat to die... You already have what you would more than likely be looking at buying anyway, other than it would be in a CF8 new today, so why waste the money now? The lack of pop between the two bats is probably a combination of her bat speed and the flex of the bat at this point... I would have her start working with the 32" CF6 off of the tee and begin working it into her batting practice... It will save swings on her current bat and help her build some confidence in the 32" bat...

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Mostly just what Maj said. First, sell or pass down the CF6. She's way too big for that bat and will break it soon enough.

Not sure about her strength, but Demarini bats, especially the new ones, are actually lighter than advertised, they swing light, and even the supposed "end-loaded" CF8 feels relatively balanced compared to CF6.

My daughter went from 31/20 CF6 to 32/22 end-loaded and hit one out of the park and another off the top of the fence first game using it. So the new bats have plenty of "pop", and 2oz is absolutely the minimum jump I would say given her size. Given she's only 11 she may out-grow a 32/21 pretty quickly, I would guess that isn't enough bat. Get the big one and use the other one as BP bat like Maj said.

Jan 23, 2014
I do have her work the -10 CF6 at practice, my way too much time reading about bats has lead me to the conclusion that the CF6 -10 just weren't the best bats Demarinis ever put out- and I know she's too strong and too good of a hitter to play with that -11 anymore, mix that in with increased speed she's meeting at 12u A I feel like a busted bat is in her future. I hadn't read the shoulder measurement- that makes so much more sense then some of the other tips I've heard. I will use the CF6 to help her continue to get used to the length and weight, been working on it for a while, but you know how kids are with their bats, especially when they've hit a couple dingers with those bats(on 175 fields at 10u, but still��)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00