Baseunning question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Baserunning question

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure of the rule on this one considering how much baseball I've watched over the past 40+ years!

If the batter-runner over runs first base and then turns right into foul territory, and then the ball is overthrown, does the batter-runner need to re-tag first before heading to second?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
You do not have to re-tag. Also, according to ASA and PONY, you do not have to turn right into foul territory after over-running first base. You can turn left and still retain the over-run protection if the batter-runner immediately returns to first. However, once the batter-runner makes a move toward second (again, does not need to re-tag), that protection is lost, and the batter-runner can be tagged out returning to first.

Feb 9, 2009
can someone post this rule? I would like to print it and take it to the ump who called my player out a few weeks ago when she turned into the field, but came straight back to first base and was tagged.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Stephanie-If (in umpire's judgement) the turn in the field was an aggressive move toward 2b
before returning to 1B, the tag will stand. If she 'lazily' stayed in fair territory turning back towards 1B, you have a valid protest

Oct 12, 2009
Stephanie-If (in umpire's judgement) the turn in the field was an aggressive move toward 2b
before returning to 1B, the tag will stand. If she 'lazily' stayed in fair territory turning back towards 1B, you have a valid protest

Agreed.

You have to make an attempt toward 2B for a tag to stand.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA 8-8-I When a batter-runner overruns first base after touching it and returns directly to the base.

There is no mention in the rule of a requirement to only turn to the right. The runner can turn either direction, however, it is the umpires judgement if an attempt has been made to go to 2nd. It is usually best to teach runners to turn right so there is no question.

Mar 15, 2010
I have seen this situation ruled differently depending upon which of the double bases is touched. When the batter-runner touches the orange portion of the base I have seen instances where the runner has been put out after entering fair territory. This is a judgement call by the ump if they determine ANY move appeared to be directed towards second. I have never seen a successful appeal. I have told my girls just not to risk it and break down in foul territory. Under various rules in ASA section 8.2 the batter-runner is entitled to use the white portion of the bag if the defensive player is using the orange portion. In this instance the batter-runner is forced into fair territory by the defensive player and has the right to return to the bag directly and without move to second. I have seen this call successfully argued.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ASA Rule 8, section 8 (h)--A runner is not out when a batter runner overruns first base after touching it and returns directly to the base.
ASA Rule 8, section 7(h)-- The runner is out when the batter-runner legally overruns first base, attempts to run to second base and is legally touched off base.

The batter-runner can run straight through the base, pivot left so that she ends up facing 1B and can return to the bag. If she makes a step toward 2B, then she should be called out if she is tagged.

Jun 22, 2008
Depends on what kind of step she takes. I am not calling a girl out if tagged for simply taking a step inside the baseline as she walks back to 1st. Now, she makes a lunging step, or an aggressive move toward 2nd, now she has made an attempt and is subject to being tagged.

Dec 28, 2008
Now, she makes a lunging step, or an aggressive move toward 2nd, now she has made an attempt and is subject to being tagged.

That's why the umpires get paid the big bucks. They get to determine what was going on in the girls mind when she makes the turn. Long legs and a normal turn, or a "lunging step". A little momentum behind her when turning which takes her 2-3 feet as she rounds for a turn back to the base, instead of 180 degree pivot, or an "attempt" to go to second.

That's what adds so much excitement to watching the games for me. I never know what the umpires will decide on any given play. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1