Bases Loaded

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Bases loaded, batter grounds to 4, all runners advancing but runner is hit by ground ball between 1st and 2nd. Does run score or is everyone sent back to base they last occupied except for runner, who is out, and batter is safe at first?

Jun 22, 2008
I will assume the ball had not passed a fielder when the runner was hit. If so, the ball is dead immediately, the runner who was hit by the ball is out, all other runners return to the last base touched at the time the runner was hit and the batter/runner is awarded 1st base.

If the ball had already passed a fielder and no other fielders had an opportunity to make an out, the ball is live and in play.

Mar 1, 2013
Yup. And if you have a dead ball/out situation, as Comp said, everyone goes back to where they were when the ball hit the runner. Batter-Runner is placed on first, only advance other runners if forced. Basically, you're not scoring a run if you have the dead-ball/out.

Were the infielders playing in to try to get the force at home? If the ball passed an infielder other than the pitcher before hitting the runner then it is a live ball.

We had something similar happen to my DD's team Saturday. Grounder hits R1 between 2nd and 3rd,bounces off her foot away from 6 towards center field and both BR & R1 are safe. Because 5 was playing in to guard against a bunt the ball passed her before hitting R1.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I will assume the ball had not passed a fielder when the runner was hit. If so, the ball is dead immediately, the runner who was hit by the ball is out, all other runners return to the last base touched at the time the runner was hit and the batter/runner is awarded 1st base.

If the ball had already passed a fielder and no other fielders had an opportunity to make an out, the ball is live and in play.

This^^^^^^

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand