Base running rule?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
It is so far from anything i have ever heard of happening in a game. I think you have to consider that some people might think that either its not being explained right or there is missing information.

I assume you are describing it right so the answer to your question of what is the call. There is no call this was a completely botch play by both players and umps.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
It is so far from anything i have ever heard of happening in a game. I think you have to consider that some people might think that either its not being explained right or there is missing information.

I assume you are describing it right so the answer to your question of what is the call. There is no call this was a completely botch play by both players and umps.

To some extent you may be right, except, the runner that advanced to 2nd from 1st , was the one to be called out, 2nd base was still entitled to the runner that was there, but when that runner returned , and both occupied the base, the runner from 1st, was tagged out, both runners were tagged on base, however the runner that occupied 2nd thought he was out, left 2nd, and actually headed toward the dugout in the baseline,and had not been tagged off the base, and was instructed to step on 1st and stay there, which is what happened, in essence you could say he stole 1st from 2nd.

This did not happen in softball but it could have and i can explain to you how it could, if you think about it i'm sure you can see how it could.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/...tures-milwaukee-brewers-shortstop-jean-segura

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
however the runner that occupied 2nd thought he was out, left 2nd, and actually headed toward the dugout in the baseline,and had not been tagged off the base, and was instructed to step on 1st and stay there,

The missing info that MTR was looking for. That explains the craziness.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The missing info that MTR was looking for. That explains the craziness.

Yes, it was. Just as the fact there were other pitches thrown in the interim.

As the umpire, once the ball got back to the circle and it was apparent all play was finished, I would have suspended play and returned the runner to 2nd base. There is no allowance for a runner to advance to a base in reverse order. And if the runner is doing so to make a travesty of the game, then there would be an ejection, but that wouldn't be the case here.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Yes, it was. Just as the fact there were other pitches thrown in the interim.

As the umpire, once the ball got back to the circle and it was apparent all play was finished, I would have suspended play and returned the runner to 2nd base. There is no allowance for a runner to advance to a base in reverse order. And if the runner is doing so to make a travesty of the game, then there would be an ejection, but that wouldn't be the case here.

So far MLB has not said it was illegal, as umpires are standing on the call, they have found 1 item in the rule book that closely resembles this, i can't quote it but i have it on dvd. If this is a rule interpretation, it's funny the opposition did not protest. But being there was an out and a safe call, I think they were so astounded they were confused. If the 1st baseman had held his position this runner could easily have been tagged out. and now they are asking "WHO'S ON FIRST"?
If you want to see something strange , go to a ball game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Segura, the runner initially on 2B at the start of the play, was allowed to run back to first because 1) the umpires judged that he didn't do it to confuse the other team; and 2) it was not done to "make a travesty of the game".

FWIW, I've seen 3 runners sprinting for the same base at the same time during a 9-10 yo BB game, but the Segura play now is top dog in my bizarre base running category.

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Segura, the runner initially on 2B at the start of the play, was allowed to run back to first because 1) the umpires judged that he didn't do it to confuse the other team; and 2) it was not done to "make a travesty of the game".

FWIW, I've seen 3 runners sprinting for the same base at the same time during a 9-10 yo BB game, but the Segura play now is top dog in my bizarre base running category.

Yes i am sure many have seen youngters get lost on base running, and as you say Seggie is history for have stolen 1st and attempted to steal 2nd twice, after have stolen first once,

There is a lot of wondering why it was called as is as no one yet has pointed out a case rule, if it's judgement then apparently as you say no rule is in effect. "What's on 2nd"?
tks

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Maybe i said this before, and maybe you already know it, but the reason seggie went that way was the dugout was in that direction, had they been on the 3rd base side, he probably would have been tagged and i think the 3rd baseman was in position compared to the 1st baseman, but it happened, probably will be talked about for awhile

QUOTE=Greenmonsters;164725]Segura, the runner initially on 2B at the start of the play, was allowed to run back to first because 1) the umpires judged that he didn't do it to confuse the other team; and 2) it was not done to "make a travesty of the game".

FWIW, I've seen 3 runners sprinting for the same base at the same time during a 9-10 yo BB game, but the Segura play now is top dog in my bizarre base running category.[/QUOTE]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12