Ball speed coming off the bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2016
What is the normal ball speed coming off the bat for fast pitch softball for a 12yr old.

Live pitching not off a tee

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I know this doesn't answer your question but, I wouldn't worry about MPH with a radar gun.
Hitters using bad swing sequence/mechanics can have a high MPH/radar gun read. Bat drag comes to mind.
Hitter using good swing/mechanics can have a high MPH/radar gun read and vise averse.
Sometimes when you give a hitter a goal of reaching higher MPH on a radar gun their swing sequence/mechanics break down in order to reach that goal.
My goal with a hitter would be to teach and learn the proper sequence. The sound of the ball coming off a squarely hit bat will be the only 'measuring' you should or would need.
Again JMHO.

Nov 18, 2013
What is the normal ball speed coming off the bat for fast pitch softball for a 12yr old.

Live pitching not off a tee

There's no way to reliably measure live hitting exit speeds because unless the ball is lined back toward the pitcher you won't get an accurate reading.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There's no way to reliably measure live hitting exit speeds because unless the ball is lined back toward the pitcher you won't get an accurate reading.

Use a batting cage and set a pocket radar up behind the screen and hit off a tee directly at it. Line drives directly at the radar will give your highest readings.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
At our 10u tourneys this year, I have been using a pocket radar for the pitchers but often get bat speed readings if it's a good, straight line drive, it's been as high as 60. Typically our pitchers are around 40-46 tops.

I believe that the PC gives relatively accurate to and from readings as long as it's in a straight line from the radar. Think it says this in the manual. Don't quote me on that though. Lol I have used it measure throwing speed from behind too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan