Ball 3 - Take Your Base (?)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm not entirely up on the DFP lingo here. Clarify for a naive coach? :)

That's okay, there is nothing HTBT about it. Worst case scenario, the umpire could have warned the batter for leaving the box and/or immediately called for the batter and rule a strike if the batter was not ready to hit within 10 seconds.

But in all cases, the runners officially stole their respective base.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
My daughter's team had the reverse scenario this week. The runner on 3rd thought a strike out was the 3rd out of the inning, but it was the second. She walked off the base and my daughter picked her off for the final out of the game.

Jun 22, 2008
Just read an article on this this morning. I see the coach is now claiming the umpire sent her to first. Have no idea if that is true or not but if it is, then the coach is correct and the runners should have been returned. That would be an umpire error.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, that is the game I just read about. I see no motion by the plate umpire sending the batter to first, she simply takes off. Protest should be denied.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Just read an article on this this morning. I see the coach is now claiming the umpire sent her to first. Have no idea if that is true or not but if it is, then the coach is correct and the runners should have been returned. That would be an umpire error.

If the video shown is the referenced game, umpire didn't send anyone anywhere

Jun 1, 2015
It is the referenced game - and nobody was "sent" there. In fact when I watched it at 11pm on the news, my first thought (both as an umpire and coach) was, "Where the Hell is she going?" They'll lose the protest based on the fact it's the defense's fault of not knowing.

I'm actually using this tonight at my 16U practice to go over how my girls need to always know the count, the outs, and the situation on defense so we don't let dumb things like this from happening. Great use of a teaching moment, I think.

Jun 22, 2008
It is the referenced game - and nobody was "sent" there. In fact when I watched it at 11pm on the news, my first thought (both as an umpire and coach) was, "Where the Hell is she going?" They'll lose the protest based on the fact it's the defense's fault of not knowing.

I'm actually using this tonight at my 16U practice to go over how my girls need to always know the count, the outs, and the situation on defense so we don't let dumb things like this from happening. Great use of a teaching moment, I think.

I have actually had it happen in a game I was umpiring. Bases loaded, batter takes off for first on ball 3. I clearly stated for everyone to hear, thats only 3. Catcher is physically standing on top of the plate with the ball as runner from 3rd is trotting home. Catcher still standing there holding the ball on top of the plate, runner has to actually reach her foot between the catchers feet to touch the plate, the whole time I am paying very close attention to see if the runner accidentally brushes up against the catchers glove while she is touching the plate. Then the whole argument with the defensive coach starts over why the runners dont have to go back.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Comp, in your opinion or the rulebook's, shouldn't the umpire always draw attention to the fact that it's only 3 like you did? It sure would save the hassle of trying to deal with the complaints afterward.

Also, WHAT IF you had made a mistake and either called ball four or told her to take her base only to find it was ball three? Would you send all the runners back?

It seems easy to correct and it seems like the defense shouldn't be punished for the mistake of the umpire.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00