Baden Axe Handled Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2012
Hi everyone, I work for Baden and wanted to respond with some more information about Axe bats.

Baden's been in the athletic ball business since 1979, and we've always prided ourselves on being at the forefront of technology. We decided to build the Axe line because what do traditional handles do for the hitter? The answer we found in our research: nothing. Instead, traditional handles are the way they are due to the fact that 100+ years ago you had to build a bat this way on a wood lathe. Since this is no longer the case, why not build a handle that is designed for the swing?

The Axe handle is different than anything before because it truly provides a natural, ergonomic fit. You can feel this as soon as you hold one. This gives the hitter all sorts of benefits but here are 3: (1) The Axe pushes the bat into your fingertips where it belongs for greater energy transfer. (2) The oval nature of the handle base allows the player to stay on the same swing plane and get into a powerful palm up/palm down hand position more consistently. Even very good hitters tell us they immediately feel feedback when they “scoop” or roll over that they don’t get with a traditional handle. (3) Lastly, the Axe handle gives you a freer swing. The traditional round knob protrudes into the palm, causing restriction in the swing on release. The Axe handle has a flat backside, with no protrusions into the palm, allowing for an unrestricted swing with a freer release. It also happens to be much more comfortable because it doesn’t dig into your palm.

From the moment we decided to build the Axe 3 years ago we wanted to make the best bats on earth from end to end. So we spent 2 years developing the necessary carbon fiber composite technology and alloy technology to build barrels that complement the Axe handle. Due to the shape of the Axe handle, players will be hitting on one side of the bat – but this is actually an advantage. Because we know where players will hit, it allows our engineers to hone in on the hitting side of the bat, optimizing everything – balance, sweet spots, barrel performance, and durability.

Our Plus-Plus Composite and LP Scandium Alloy technologies were designed with this in mind. Plus-Plus Composite is created from the lightest, most durable carbon fiber on the market. We reinforce the barrel on the hitting side to ensure hitters get optimum performance, with superior durability for one-sided hitting. LP Scandium Alloy, used across our alloy line of baseball bats, is created from a combination of elements to deliver performance and durability under one-sided hitting conditions.

Sorry for the length of this but thought you may find it interesting. I can tell you we all believe very passionately in building better bats for all hitters from t-ball to the Pros, fastpitch, slowpitch, everyone! In any case don’t take my word for it – we encourage all baseball and softball players to grab an Axe and try it for themselves.

May 1, 2011
CMCSTAGS - Thanks for chiming in. Always nice to see someone stand by what they believe in. I don't have any major "problems" with the bat. Was just wanting some scientific speak on the benefits of the bat, if there are any. Most of us on here believe that with good technique, gimmicky tools/training aids aren't necessary. I've seen other products on here that have great intentions, but can also be avoided with sound teaching.

Funny someone mentioned Morgan Ensberg. I'm a Houstonian and know Mr. Ensberg all too well. He was the epitome of inconsistency.

Josh

Oct 25, 2009
Hi everyone, I work for Baden and wanted to respond with some more information about Axe bats.

Baden's been in the athletic ball business since 1979, and we've always prided ourselves on being at the forefront of technology. We decided to build the Axe line because what do traditional handles do for the hitter? The answer we found in our research: nothing. Instead, traditional handles are the way they are due to the fact that 100+ years ago you had to build a bat this way on a wood lathe. Since this is no longer the case, why not build a handle that is designed for the swing?

The Axe handle is different than anything before because it truly provides a natural, ergonomic fit. You can feel this as soon as you hold one. This gives the hitter all sorts of benefits but here are 3: (1) The Axe pushes the bat into your fingertips where it belongs for greater energy transfer. (2) The oval nature of the handle base allows the player to stay on the same swing plane and get into a powerful palm up/palm down hand position more consistently. Even very good hitters tell us they immediately feel feedback when they “scoop” or roll over that they don’t get with a traditional handle. (3) Lastly, the Axe handle gives you a freer swing. The traditional round knob protrudes into the palm, causing restriction in the swing on release. The Axe handle has a flat backside, with no protrusions into the palm, allowing for an unrestricted swing with a freer release. It also happens to be much more comfortable because it doesn’t dig into your palm.

From the moment we decided to build the Axe 3 years ago we wanted to make the best bats on earth from end to end. So we spent 2 years developing the necessary carbon fiber composite technology and alloy technology to build barrels that complement the Axe handle. Due to the shape of the Axe handle, players will be hitting on one side of the bat – but this is actually an advantage. Because we know where players will hit, it allows our engineers to hone in on the hitting side of the bat, optimizing everything – balance, sweet spots, barrel performance, and durability.

Our Plus-Plus Composite and LP Scandium Alloy technologies were designed with this in mind. Plus-Plus Composite is created from the lightest, most durable carbon fiber on the market. We reinforce the barrel on the hitting side to ensure hitters get optimum performance, with superior durability for one-sided hitting. LP Scandium Alloy, used across our alloy line of baseball bats, is created from a combination of elements to deliver performance and durability under one-sided hitting conditions.

Sorry for the length of this but thought you may find it interesting. I can tell you we all believe very passionately in building better bats for all hitters from t-ball to the Pros, fastpitch, slowpitch, everyone! In any case don’t take my word for it – we encourage all baseball and softball players to grab an Axe and try it for themselves.

Before I actually saw the Axe bat I had envisioned a bat handle that had an arch similar to an ax handle. Would that be legal? If so, why not do that? It would definitely give the bat a lot of leverage.

Side question: why don't fastpitch bats have the wedge at the knob that many baseball bats have? That increases leverage.

May 1, 2011
Mr. Jim - I was waiting for you to chime in sir. I had a good friend of mine order a Bat Jack. Haven't heard anything about his DD's progress, but that reminded me to shoot him an email.

Jan 25, 2011
as far as the knob of the bat digging into the palm,they sell a bat taper,my dd has them on all of her bats.No digging into her palm and her swing is free.But the bat is interesting,have had one in my hands,seems pretty cool.She also has used the batjack to get the feel of where the bat should be in her hands.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my DD's team just won one of these bats. My DD tried it out and she says she really likes the feel of it. All I can say is she hit one to the base of the fence with it (which she has never done before).

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414