assitants want to be head coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
"Not ALL assistant coaches want to be Head Coaches!!! I am an assistant on DD's new TB team, and I LOVE not having to deal with the headaches of being the Head Coach! I actually enjoy game days now!!" FROM COACH TUCC
"Should probably start another thread - don't want to hijack this one. But I agree - HC on school and 14u; however, this Fall I have kind of been forced in to asst. on my 10dd 12u team. I love it - almost no pressure on game day when compared to the other 2. Sometimes get frustrated when HC doesn't use the same situational tactics I would (I'm slowly bringing him around), but all in all AC isn't a bad place to be. " FROM STEPHANIE
Yeah but i am HS asst coach and a 12U head Coach and my asst keeps asking the guy who formed the team to give him a shot...his experience is one yr of LL Tournament...constantly complains I don't do anything he says but when he gives advice he says this....Coach, what you NEED to do is this...and yes the word need is bolded and caps....now i love advice and I tell him that I like an idea but might not use it right away but he still gets upset!!

Aug 16, 2010
I guess I've been lucky w assistants. We have complimented each other and really no egos. I've had male and female assistants all have been great. I am willing to listen to anything they suggest and they are often right. However, none have ever told me what I "NEED" to do - they most often say "what do you think about trying . . . ?" However, line-up is not a democracy - I do it they know it. I will ask them what they think about moving little lucy to 3 hole to get her an extra at bat or something like that but I make out line up.

As I said earlier - I'm the default assistant on my younger dd's 12u team. HC is great skill and practice guy. However, he has a lot to learn about small ball tactics - bait and switch coverages, etc. He's more of a checker player than a chess player when it comes to game strategy. He doesn't quite get that I might allow an out on a straight bunt to get coverage commitment and then put on a push bunt hit and run 2 innings later to score a run from 2b. If he asks what I think - I'll tell him. If he doesn't - I'll back off and do whatever he asks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes