Assess this still-shot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you are referring to the bowed left wrist. I think the ball is gone and she has already released her grip in preparation to touch em all. At actual contact I think the would look different.

May 12, 2016
The ball left the park... don't think I need to see the still shot, :). Maybe this thread should be moved to the Parents Shameless Bragging section.. Congrats!!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FFS- this one frame shot reminded me of my DDs swing when she doesn’t get full extension. In DDs case, both arms are bent and her swing looks like she was jammed, whether she was or not. And the bottom wrist sometimes looks like the photo.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"she doesn’t get full extension."

Extension is overrated imho. You can google still shot and video of HRs where the hitter never extends or does so after contact. Extension is necessary when the pitch is outside or timing was slightly off. I am not saying don't extend,but rather extension is happens naturally. Early extension is a bad thing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
FFS- this one frame shot reminded me of my DDs swing when she doesn’t get full extension. In DDs case, both arms are bent and her swing looks like she was jammed, whether she was or not. And the bottom wrist sometimes looks like the photo.

Nothing wrong with the bottom wrist here.

If the full swing is made available then the issue will be more clear.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
. Extension is necessary when the pitch is outside or timing was slightly off. I am not saying don't extend,but rather extension is happens naturally. Early extension is a bad thing.

I agree that extension should happen naturally, and not on every type of pitch, and definitely not at contact unless the batter is going after an outside pitch.
DDs problem that i was attempting to describe was an artificially shortened swing that looks the same as getting jammed, no matter where the pitch is.

To me, a good swing releases the club head into contact, driving straight thru the ball, preferably in plane with the pitch.
What DD was doing that I think us wrong was from contact on, pulling the bat in and keeping it tight to the body.

The stronger a batter is, the less important mechanics are in getting a good hit. A strong hitter can hit one out of the park without using their lower half for anything more than holding up their top half. DD had a player in her TB team for a couple of years that had a real ugly swing that every coach tried to “correct”. At the end of the day, terrible mechanics but great stats. All-star player doing stuff you would never want your players doing. Slow swing too, but she consistently hits for average and power, year after year.

I wasn’t looking to fix DDs swing, I was just saying I saw something in the photo that I have also seen sometimes in DDs swing and I thought was wrong. When she does that type of swing, the hits don’t go as far as when she does it the other way I described. Another thing to consider is I may not be Describing the swings perfectly because, again, I was only using one of her swings as an example of what I speculated that I might be seeing in the OP photo.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles