ASA 12u, interference called on batter... almost lost it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Best answer yet. I've taught my catchers to move the batter out of the way, and I've also taught them to use a crossover step and throw from behind the batter. The first way, the hitter would be "interfering" if she stands in the box, the other way she'd only be "interfering" if she backs out of the box. There can't be "interference" without the catcher attempting to do something.

You wouldn't get that "first way" call from an intelligent umpire. If the catcher initiates the contact of a batter just standing in the box and not actively hindering the catcher, there is no interference. And if the catcher gets rough about it, you may need another catcher.

Mar 15, 2014
The batter's box is not a sanctuary. The next rule, 7-6Q addresses interference while in the box.
"When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box."

Very true--but not the situation being discussed.

Best answer yet. I've taught my catchers to move the batter out of the way, and I've also taught them to use a crossover step and throw from behind the batter. The first way, the hitter would be "interfering" if she stands in the box, the other way she'd only be "interfering" if she backs out of the box. There can't be "interference" without the catcher attempting to do something.

Sure hope you aren't also teaching your catcher to pull pitches into the strike zone in an attempt to "fool" the umpire.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The batter's box is not a sanctuary. The next rule, 7-6Q addresses interference while in the box.
"When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box."

Very true--but not the situation being discussed.

Sure hope you aren't also teaching your catcher to pull pitches into the strike zone in an attempt to "fool" the umpire.
Fool them? This spring an ump told my dd's catcher "if you framed that last pitch better I would have called it a strike"

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Fool them? This spring an ump told my dd's catcher "if you framed that last pitch better I would have called it a strike"

Depends on your definition of "frame". Many believe that is "pulling" the pitches into the strike zone or turning the glove to make it look so. Some umpires will take a logical look at this as, "if the catcher thought it was out of the strike zone enough to feel she had to try an make it look like a strike, then it must have been a ball." IOW, if the catcher didn't think the pitch was a strike, who is the umpire to argue :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Depends on your definition of "frame". Many believe that is "pulling" the pitches into the strike zone or turning the glove to make it look so. Some umpires will take a logical look at this as, "if the catcher thought it was out of the strike zone enough to feel she had to try an make it look like a strike, then it must have been a ball." IOW, if the catcher didn't think the pitch was a strike, who is the umpire to argue :)
Well 1 if the ump was actually calling the pitches based on where they crossed the plate, none of the foolishness about what the catcher did would matter and 2 later in the same inning he told the same catcher, you framed that one too much so I called it a ball.

I am hoping you are being sarcastic as you usually fall in line with call the rules as written, but just in case you aren't. If the catchers opinion on balls and strikes actually matter, why have an ump. Let the catcher call them.

Mar 15, 2014
I don't know what you're talking about. That pitch was clearly over the plate.
I have met coaches who insist that pulling a pitch is framing a pitch.
Sometimes this leads to a spirited discussion which ends--for them--with a early trip to the parking lot.
I used to tell catchers this in an attempt to educate them.
I also used to play with toy trucks--I have since stopped doing both since the former caused some spirited debates with ignorant coaches.
( Hey--if an umpire is telling your catcher how to gain more strikes don't argue that you teach her how to "frame" pitches.)
BTW--teaching your catcher to bump the batter trying to draw an interference cal--or arguing balls and strikes-- is a bozo no-no which will not be tolerated by real umpires.
We can see bush a long ways away and will not be amused.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2014
Just yesterday I stabbed somebody for taking too long at the ATM. I should probably get some help.
I umpire and I am retired law enforcement.
If you live in the NYC/Long island area we have probably met--one way or the other:)

he told the same catcher, you framed that one too much so I called it a ball.

Framing is a funny thing--too little may cost you a strike.
Too much--that is also known as trying to show up the umpire.
I will ignore it once.
Do it a second time--especially with a slight shaking of the head--I will call time, dust off the plate and politely tell the catcher to knock off the dramatics.
Of course this only applies with the older, more talented age groups who know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

I am hoping you are being sarcastic as you usually fall in line with call the rules as written, but just in case you aren't. If the catchers opinion on balls and strikes actually matter, why have an ump. Let the catcher call them.
Umpires are taught to watch the ball into the glove before making the call.
Anyone who has coached upper level softball knows that how a catcher presents the pitch is a big part of the decision.
Quality catchers --and my daughter was a High School/ college catcher--quickly learn to have a good rapport with the umpire, protect him at all costs and adapt to his strike zone.
They also know the difference between pulling, framing and rolling a pitch so as to make easier for an umpire to call strikes.
( Which we really, really prefer to call.)
Yes--we know what a rule book strike is--but if the catcher makes it look like a ball then so be it--it is a ball.
Otherwise we will keep hearing, "Hey blue--she moved the glove" over and over and over again.
To be frank I no longer umpire rec ball or anything less than than travel quality 14U and above--my tolerance for loud mouth, ignorant "Daddy Coaches" and poorly tutored players expired many moons ago.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I umpire and I am retired law enforcement.
If you live in the NYC/Long island area we have probably met--one way or the other:)

he told the same catcher, you framed that one too much so I called it a ball.

Framing is a funny thing--too little may cost you a strike.
Too much--that is also known as trying to show up the umpire.
I will ignore it once.
Do it a second time--especially with a slight shaking of the head--I will call time, dust off the plate and politely tell the catcher to knock off the dramatics.
Of course this only applies with the older, more talented age groups who know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Umpires are taught to watch the ball into the glove before making the call.
Anyone who has coached upper level softball knows that how a catcher presents the pitch is a big part of the decision.
Quality catchers --and my daughter was a High School/ college catcher--quickly learn to have a good rapport with the umpire, protect him at all costs and adapt to his strike zone.
They also know the difference between pulling, framing and rolling a pitch so as to make easier for an umpire to call strikes.
( Which we really, really prefer to call.)
Yes--we know what a rule book strike is--but if the catcher makes it look like a ball then so be it--it is a ball.
Otherwise we will keep hearing, "Hey blue--she moved the glove" over and over and over again.
To be frank I no longer umpire rec ball or anything less than than travel quality 14U and above--my tolerance for loud mouth, ignorant "Daddy Coaches" and poorly tutored players expired many moons ago.

And my tolerance for umps who think its their job to coach the players on the game, and who don't call a strike a strike or a ball a ball because the catcher did or didn't move her glove properly has well past expired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi