Arm Position when stride foot lands...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
also, to note: I reference the angle of the upper arm (humerus) vs the angle of the lower arm/ball for this measurement.

The upper arm is a constant "pointer", where lower arm, depending upon amount of bend at the elbow, can vary

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
as_zps1cc2a12b.png

Yeah, that's the ticket! :)

Nov 7, 2014
I have a question then I referenced this to my DD and she is at 8:00 when her heel touches down , her toe touches down at about 10:00 I believe that would mean she needs to shorten stride ???

Jun 18, 2010
I have a question then I referenced this to my DD and she is at 8:00 when her heel touches down , her toe touches down at about 10:00 I believe that would mean she needs to shorten stride ???

It is hard to say without seeing video. The issue could be earlier in the sequence.

finch_stride_zpsd8de5b39.png

What does she look like as she strides out?
Does her ball hand, glove hand, and stride leg come out together?

Nov 7, 2014
here you go 4 stills

3:00
12:00
then

toe touch

and

heel-plant

and yes her arm starts down from the back swing and catches up to her glove hand by or at 3:00

Attachments

• pitching111-0.00.06.63.jpg
    pitching111-0.00.06.63.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 172
  • pitching111-0.00.07.21.jpg
    pitching111-0.00.07.21.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 167
  • toe-touch.jpg
    toe-touch.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 169
  • heel-plant.jpg
    heel-plant.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 169
Jun 18, 2010
IMHO, from the stills, it does not appear that she is over striding. I am just using marks on the framing lumber and the tree in the center of the picture as reference points. Judging by the distance her head travels in the four images I would not call that an over stride. I don't see her arm positions as being that bad in relation to the stride. I would like to see a slight more bend in the arm in the last pic as she creates lag for the eventual arm whip.

Your initial concern was the position of her arm when the stride foot lands as you compare it to pros and college pitchers. Is your DD exaggerating a toe-touch position?

On a side note… many have picked up on a rotational moment of the foot immediately prior to contact with the ground…. If not… here it is… It’s a pretty cool find the first time around… Remember, this is a weightless move...

2vkxb8m.gif

Notice JS's description of SP's toe-heal plant.... this is a weightless move

At the 3:00 mark, JF is getting her front foot on the ground, and her arm is more at 9:00 vs AS who is more at 10:00. To me, Finch does land toe-heal, but it is not an exaggerated toe only landing.

Nov 7, 2014
well not sure if she would call it an exaggerated toe touch at landing, But I sure would. She lands almost on the tip of her toe by placing it down then rotates the heel down but it is the very tip of her toe that touches down not the ball of her foot.

:)

on my dd there is deffinately a lot more foot ot come down after toe touch then the pics above

watching the video above my DD is much more of a toe lander then JF she lands like on the ball of her big toe.

but I do believe if she would get rid of the early humerous rotation it would make her arm position closer to JF's

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi