Anyone like outs at 2nd?? 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Always take out the lead runner. It's definitely tempting coaching at 10U to just take the out at 1, but as others have said very well that doesn't teach the team much. At practice run drills with a runner on 1 with the goal of getting lead runner. After a few practices with runners on they will pick up.

Jun 11, 2013
I played second all the way through HS. We were always taught to get at least one out and preferably the lead runner. If we had to range one way or the other we would follow the ball so if it was to our left we would usually go to first. Trying to make a hero play after 3 steps to your left and a full turn to a bang bang play at 2nd leads to some big innings.

However on just normal grounders to 2nd get the lead runner.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
It is always the right time to do the right thing. My coaching motto at 10U is that I will never teach them something that I will have un-teach them later on
It is always the right time to do the right thing......even if the play doesn't work out. Learning the game the right way will pay dividends later in their softball career and just might even surprise you late in the season of the current year.

Sep 29, 2020
Thanks guys!!!! I appreciate the input so much! We had a very successful 1ST team practice last night and as another member on here mentioned the drill with SS & 2nd it was badass for them to take to it.Very excited for this journey im taking on first year of coaching(several other years of assisting) But ya'll members have helped so much in answering anything ive asked, Thanks again!!!

Feb 21, 2017
At 10U there was the play where we are in the field and other team has bases loaded. The ball was hit to 3B or P and they look at 3B runner and throw to first. The other team coach sent the runner from 3B on the throw because the odds of getting out were low (this wasn't uncommon). I taught my 1B to throw home, she throws it OOB (short fence on that side) and we lose due to extra bases on overthrow. I told her instinct was correct and as she get older she will make the play. Fast-forward to middle school and similar play only this time great throw and catch and runner is out.

Teach them at 10U the way the should play at the highest level you want them to eventually play. When their bodies and mind get all sync'd up they will make those plays. Don't dumb down the game.

Dec 5, 2017
We started working on this in 8u. Practiced it every practice like Sluggers recommended plus worked on getting it from 3rd as well. A lot of hard hit balls at 3rd made for easy outs at 2nd. DD knew that if it was a slow roller that she had to charge that the play was at first instead.

Nov 4, 2015
I think that teaching them to know the runners is important. That's what i've tried to teach my dd. If she is pitching and the runner at first is fast, don't go to second on anything that isn't hit hard. If she is slow, you have time. Practice doing both, but know the circumstances and conditions.

Jun 11, 2013
I see teams work all the time on DP's which is all well and good but what is often not taught well is that you need to get an out on a play. The MI's need to understand the situation and adjust to the speed of the ball. If it's a real DP situation play for it, but if it's not hit hard sometimes the MI's need to act like 1B to stretch to get that out at second versus getting into DP position. You can win a lot of games just making all the ordinary plays. When you don't turn what should be sure outs into outs you are setting up a big inning.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At 10u I liked outs anyway I Could get them.

Getting the lead runner out is a bonus. After all that girl on 2nd is only 2 wild pitches/passed balls from scoring. So yes that’s what we would teach. Get the lead runner if possible.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I usually teach them to go with whatever play is the closest to where the ball takes them. To the left go to first, to the right go to second, hit short try for the tag and throw DP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish