Another interference call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
10u travel ball. Runner on second and the ball is hit to the SS. SS takes 2 steps to her right and is set to field the ball and is run into by the runner. The play continues as if nothing happened. Hitter safe at first and runner safe at third. Umpire makes no call. Coach goes out to enquire about the interference and is told there was none. The reason being that the fielder had to take more then one step to her left or right. Is there a part of this rule that I have missed? The umpire also said he could have called obstruction of the base runner by the fielder. She had her glove on the ground making the play when contact occured. What do you think?

Jun 22, 2008
Umpire needs to study both the interference and obstruction sections of the rule book.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
10u travel ball. Runner on second and the ball is hit to the SS. SS takes 2 steps to her right and is set to field the ball and is run into by the runner. The play continues as if nothing happened. Hitter safe at first and runner safe at third. Umpire makes no call. Coach goes out to enquire about the interference and is told there was none. The reason being that the fielder had to take more then one step to her left or right. Is there a part of this rule that I have missed? The umpire also said he could have called obstruction of the base runner by the fielder. She had her glove on the ground making the play when contact occured. What do you think?

This umpire seems confused, but let me ask: Was the ball deflected at all, even by the SS prior to the INT?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12