Another how would you handle this thread...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I have a situation...need input. DD plays 14U TB. Primarily played 2B most of her softball career, then some SS, and very little OF. We left a team and came to the team and org she plays for now because we were sold on "she would get the development she needs to play HS and college ball."

So the season comes along and she starts at SS and does ok. Coach moves her back to her natural spot at 2nd and she does ok. Has a bad game in a tourney so he puts her in LF. DD did get a little mopey about the move - her fault and he says her attitude stinks at that time. So she accepts the move, but our OF gets little to no reps in practice. We spent one practice where she stood at 2nd at caught balls for other IF for 1.5 hours then they go ful field and she gets put in left. Gets hit one ball the rest of the practice. Hardly not the kind of reps a kid who has never played out there should get. So she gets frustrated because if she is going to play there then she wants to learn to do it right, but gives it her all regardless. She decides she wants to practice more so I find a couple of teams she can practice with on the days her team doesn't practice (usually once a week, sometimes two). So she practice twice a week with two other teams (one is a solid A and one is an above average B) and she gets lots of reps and 2nd and OF and as a result progresses. I send her to some camps at D-1 programs (where she won a line drive contest and a bunting contest with 75 other girls from grades 9-12). She gets in a lot of extra work. So today, they have a camp with a D1 team that came in to work with the girls in the org only and somehow manages to get put at 2nd and lights it up. 3 double plays, almost got a triple play against other TB teams in the org. She missed one ball with a really nasty hop, but the D1 coaches are cheering, slapping her high fives, and complimenting her a lot. So here lies the problem.

Her coach walks up to her and says, where has that been and can I get it in a tournament? Then proceeds to harp about her attitude the last weekend. She was in right and did not get any balls, but she played hard and was always in postions for her back ups, etc. She wasn't super smiles while she was out there, but she did her job even though she may have saw one ball. On top of that, her coach invited a rec ball player to come pitch (her dad's pitch was quite convincing, but not what was delivered) and he starts pick up rec player in the OF and has DD sit the bench for a game while rec girl is standing around chasing butterflies and missing everything hit her way. So DD took it like a big girl and does her duty, but ain't sunshine and butterflies. In the mean time, we had a second baseman melt down in tears and argue with the coach for three innings and had a pitcher meltdown with tears. However, no attitudinal issues there. I will be the first to say DD had issues for a few week stretch, but she pulled out of it and has been a total team player since. He still has her pegged for the attitude problem (and boy his DD certainly has one, but that's neither her nor there).

To make a short story long, I know he is going to ask where that player was all season. That player was there if he had bother to work with her and develop her like the other coaches (who have no vested interest) did. Now all of a sudden, he wants to start playing her back at 2nd. Ironically she likes playing in the outfield now. I am not going to be able to sit there and have him talk about where that player was without telling him it was his lack of coaching and developing.

What would you say?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Your DD is to be commended for working hard and improving, no thanks to her current coach. IMO, her initial displeasure at being moved to OF may have put her coach in a bind - if he has a kid playing a position they don't want to and moping about it (verbally or even just via body language), and moves her back to where she wants to play, doesn't that tell the other players that they can play their preferred postion by acting similarly? From the way you describe practices though, it sounds like the coach could just be another daddy-baller in over his head. Seems like it would be a wise move to look into other team options for next year, but burning bridges and flaming the current coach, however satisfying in the moment, provides no long-term benefit. The good news is that your DD is better off being proficient at more than one or two positions (particularly if her bat dictates she be in the line up).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The single most important lesson in life is, "When knocked down 5 times, get up 6." You taught your DD well, congrats!

Thanks to this coach's incompetence, your DD learned a much more valuable lesson than how to field a groundball.

You should congratulate your DD and yourself the way you handled the situation. This was a tremendous learning experience for your DD, and you it handled wonderfully.

She (and you) didn't sit around and cry and mope about not playing. She (and you) took charge and made her a better player...so much so that the coach couldn't ignore her anymore. It is a fantastic story.

As she gets older, and softball fades into the background, you will be able to pull this story out and tell it to her as an example when other problems come up.

Don't muck everything up by trying to take some petty revenge on the coach. Trust me, it won't phase him one bit.

I am not going to be able to sit there and have him talk about where that player was without telling him it was his lack of coaching and developing.

But, that is exactly what you should do. I know it is tough. I know this guy is a bozo.

Suppose this is work, and the coach were her boss. Would you want her to tell her boss that he is a bozo? Of course not.

Continue teaching her the right way to how to handle these type of situations.

Last edited:
Your DD is to be commended for working hard and improving, no thanks to her current coach. IMO, her initial displeasure at being moved to OF may have put her coach in a bind - if he has a kid playing a position they don't want to and moping about it (verbally or even just via body language), and moves her back to where she wants to play, doesn't that tell the other players that they can play their preferred postion by acting similarly? From the way you describe practices though, it sounds like the coach could just be another daddy-baller in over his head. Seems like it would be a wise move to look into other team options for next year, but burning bridges and flaming the current coach, however satisfying in the moment, provides no long-term benefit. The good news is that your DD is better off being proficient at more than one or two positions (particularly if her bat dictates she be in the line up).

I agree with the mopey thing and I am 100% glad he did not move her back. I have always wanted her to get more proficient in the outfiled. I think it is ultimately where she is best suited to play. Plus her high school coach is big on seniority and upper classmen play infield unless a incoming is highly skilled in the infield, so it's her best shot to see the field early.

We're looking at teams she wants to tryout out with and we're going to go with the coaches reputation over that if an organization this go around. I guess I will just smile and nod if he says something or I will just steer around it. Chances are he plays the 2nd baseman who got relegated to the OF today anyway (asst coaches kid). He likes to tell her he is going to put her somewhere because she plays great and then never does. It's is predictable as the sun rising in the morning. She lit it up in LF a couple of tourneys ago and he puts somebody else out there who misses everything.

Maybe they are not compatible from a personality standpoint. Who knows? She is committed to going out and giving all she had for her teammates an we have one tournament to go.

BTW, her bat has been good lately. She has been between .571 and .750 for the last four or so tournaments. She's hitting.

The single most important lesson in life is, "When knocked down 5 times, get up 6." You taught your DD well, congrats!

Thanks to this coach's incompetence, your DD learned a much more valuable lesson than how to field a groundball.

You should congratulate your DD and yourself the way you handled the situation. This was a tremendous learning experience for your DD, and you it handled wonderfully.

She (and you) didn't sit around and cry and mope about not playing. She (and you) took charge and made her a better player...so much so that the coach couldn't ignore her anymore. It is a fantastic story.

As she gets older, and softball fades into the background, you will be able to pull this story out and tell it to her as an example when other problems come up.

Don't muck everything up by trying to take some petty revenge on the coach. Trust me, it won't phase him one bit.

But, that is exactly what you should do. I know it is tough. I know this guy is a bozo.

Suppose this is work, and the coach were her boss. Would you want her to tell her boss that he is a bozo? Of course not.

Continue teaching her the right way to how to handle these type of situations.

Sound advice. It'll be smile and nod and she'll keep practicing ever chance she gets. Good things will eventually happen.

May 31, 2011
Sound advice. It'll be smile and nod and she'll keep practicing ever chance she gets. Good things will eventually happen.

Cream rises to the top. If this team doesn't work out, I'm sure there are lots of other teams out there who could use a good player. Keep practicing and emphasize the significance of positive attitude.

Cream rises to the top. If this team doesn't work out, I'm sure there are lots of other teams out there who could use a good player. Keep practicing and emphasize the significance of positive attitude.

She drags her old man out all of the time to work on stuff. She's tweaking some mechanics to gain some velocity throwing so she got me out all of the time in addition to picking up every practice she can get to. Her coach cancelled practice Sunday so we are off to work out with some other teams.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red