Another clueless Div. 1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Unfortunately all too often coaches provide well thought out solutions for something that is not really broken. On the other hand you need to be open to change as what works in HS/TB may or may not work that well in college. My DD is currently going through a process where they are refining her pitching mechanics and as a result she has lost some velocity (-5mph). However, her command and movement is more consistent and she knows that over time her velocity will return and possibly exceed what it was previously.

Nothing to add except in regards to the first sentence, yeah, I could tell you stories.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
RMU Assistant Coach Keri Meyer;

Meyer is one of the most accomplished players in RMU history. She led the team to the 2005 NCAA Tournament by batting .418, a single-season school record that still stands, while posting a league-leading .472 on-base percentage and a .620 SLG%. She was named NEC Player of the Year that season and also claimed first team all-region honors for her remarkable contributions. Meyer was also the toughest player to strike out in Division I in 2005 and holds the best single-season at bat-to-strikeout ratio of any Division I player in the past decade.

Meyer helped the Colonials to a pair of NEC regular-season titles in her four years and was a three-time All-NEC honoree. She remains among the career top 10 in a variety of offensive categories at Robert Morris including batting average (.342), hits (165), RBI (77), doubles (29) and walks (46). Meyer was inducted into the RMU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012

Does this mean that she teaches hitting as well as a some great pitchers teach pitching? Maybe as well as say Jennie Finch? Ones past performance is not indicative of ones ability to instruct.

Nov 2, 2015
I'm no expert, by any means, but when analyzing someone's swing, a leg-kick would be pretty close to the bottom of my list. It's true that "less movement = more contact" but that refers to movement within the swing. A leg kick is mostly prior to the swing, and is solely there for comfort and timing. The same thing goes for a "bat wag". If the movement causes issues (some kids will drop their back shoulder when using a high leg kick, or stride too far/early, some kids continue a "bat-wag" into the pitchers delivery) then, you might work on adjusting it. If done properly as part of the load, I wouldn't mess with a leg-kick at all.

Aug 6, 2013
I have no dog in this fight but I'll mention this. Being able to do it is one level of knowing. Knowing what you actually did is another level of knowing. Being good at teaching what you actually did is a third level of knowing. Few there are who can lay claim to all three.

I only posted Coach Meyers stats to refute the Idea that she was some third rate hitter at a backwater school. RMU is a fairly good mid-major program that has seen success against some larger programs.

My dd has never taken lessons from Coach Meyer but I know she is well sought after and is booked for months in advance - I have from time to time asked several of the college coaches in the area for a recommendation for hitting coaches her name is always at the top of the list.

Again, that does not prove her to be a great instructor but I'm fairly sure if girls were not having success she would not get the kind of responce she does.

May 12, 2008
I only posted Coach Meyers stats to refute the Idea that she was some third rate hitter at a backwater school. RMU is a fairly good mid-major program that has seen success against some larger programs..
OK

My dd has never taken lessons from Coach Meyer but I know she is well sought after and is booked for months in advance - I have from time to time asked several of the college coaches in the area for a recommendation for hitting coaches her name is always at the top of the list. .
Means nothing either way.

Again, that does not prove her to be a great instructor .
Agreed.

but I'm fairly sure if girls were not having success she would not get the kind of responce she does.
If you have enough students, some of them are going to turn out very good. Again, always compare anything anyone tells you about swinging a bat to lots of slow motion video of the best.

Sep 17, 2009
Seems like players need to be better "shoppers" -- I realize everyone wants to be wanted, but it might be worthwhile to understand the system a player is going into. It may be as simple as saying "hey, I approach hitting in this way, with this coach (or on my own), here's why, what do you think?" before signing on the dotted line....

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Had a similar experience w/ DD at a camp last year w/ a coach from a top-25 D-I school. No leg kick. It was pointed out to her on video analysis. DD's next station was tee work w/ another coach, another school. Coach asked her, 'What did they want you to work on?' DD says the leg kick. This coach says, 'No, leave that alone. I like that.' Later called DD's TB coach and invited her to her camp. Needless to say, I really liked that coach.

Edit: When I read 'leg kick', I thought back leg kick, as in back foot leaves the ground during swing. I think now y'all meant front leg kick (like Alex Hugo).

Hey CG, just noticed your edit! What you're talking about is considered "squish the bug" in most parts of the country. Smh if I'm at a tourney and I see a kid with a "follow thru" like your DD I'll usually stick around and watch her hit. Usually with good results but you'll still hear that one guy talking about the famous "squish the bug". Haha

Sent from my

Oct 27, 2015
This is a good thread. Even though it got negative it's a good lesson for coaches trying too hard to make a difference that they feel they need to fix something... anything! Been there myself and it's painfully wrong and embarrassing. An interesting side to this would be what would you coach if you had a day clinic for hitting?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
What I've seen is coaches have different styles and different teaching methods. I also believe college coaches look to coach to college level pitching meaning your dd may hit her level pitching great now but could have some swing flaws that will not show up until she sees higher level pitching. My dd dealing with that now. Her hitting instructor shortening and changing not to hit what she sees now but what she will see in 5 years

Jan 25, 2011
What I've seen is coaches have different styles and different teaching methods. I also believe college coaches look to coach to college level pitching meaning your dd may hit her level pitching great now but could have some swing flaws that will not show up until she sees higher level pitching. My dd dealing with that now. Her hitting instructor shortening and changing not to hit what she sees now but what she will see in 5 years
This thread was started by me and what this so called college coach teaches is not even close to college level. I'm sorry but to many people think that these college coaches are gods. Don't get me wrong, there are really good college coaches and there are really bad college coaches, just like at ever level.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles