Another clueless Div. 1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
Nano, went to the same clinic you went to. I was watching my dd here and there but tried to stay away from her to let her experience someone else giving instructions. After the first session, we were heading out for lunch and my dd seemed upset. She said "Dad the coach there said my swing is wrong." I asked what do you mean. Then she went on and told me the same things you said. She also told me that they didn't like her finishing on her toe but to keep weight on back foot. I told her there is nothing wrong with your swing but if the coach says anything just acknowledge her. We went back and I made sure the next time she was in the group with the assistant that I was going to watch. Well, I did. When she started to explain to the girls about the swing, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so tempted to pull my phone out and show her video clips of what elite hitters look like. Anyway, I agree with Nano, it was a waste of $80. Only good thing was they complimented her slapping. They had no one there teaching that so I guess that was a good thing. Couldn't screw that up !

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
I had to chuckle just a bit when I read this. We were at a D1 hitting camp just last month. DD was crushing the ball to the right side(lefty) on inside or over the inner half of the plate and as soon as she crushed one to the left side (on an outside pitch) here comes the coach!
DD has a leg kick that I dare compare to an Adrian Gonzalez. So not horribly up there but the coach tells her she needs to get rid of that in order to be on time. I'm sitting there shaking my head. Less movement equals more contact she's told. In my DDs head she's thinking slow and early that's what she's been taught since she was in diapers haha. So she takes out her leg kick on her stride and drives one to the left side and here comes the coach with a hi five and a good job atta girl. Way to drive that outside pitch! Hope you guys are still with me. He wants every kid to have the exact same stance which doesn't work for everyone. As for the leg kick, we were at the WCWS and she must've picked it up there 2 yrs ago. She experimented with it and loved it. So slow and early is a big part of our hitting sessions in our dungeon. Coaches aren't trying to hurt your DDs swing by any means. They only know one way and aren't willing to work with something out of their routine. For parents reading this, watch who you take your DD for hitting lessons. He might be a robotics major haha

Sent from my

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD has a leg kick that I dare compare to an Adrian Gonzalez. So not horribly up there but the coach tells her she needs to get rid of that in order to be on time. I'm sitting there shaking my head. Less movement equals more contact she's told.

Had a similar experience w/ DD at a camp last year w/ a coach from a top-25 D-I school. No leg kick. It was pointed out to her on video analysis. DD's next station was tee work w/ another coach, another school. Coach asked her, 'What did they want you to work on?' DD says the leg kick. This coach says, 'No, leave that alone. I like that.' Later called DD's TB coach and invited her to her camp. Needless to say, I really liked that coach.

Edit: When I read 'leg kick', I thought back leg kick, as in back foot leaves the ground during swing. I think now y'all meant front leg kick (like Alex Hugo).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unfortunately all too often coaches provide well thought out solutions for something that is not really broken. On the other hand you need to be open to change as what works in HS/TB may or may not work that well in college. My DD is currently going through a process where they are refining her pitching mechanics and as a result she has lost some velocity (-5mph). However, her command and movement is more consistent and she knows that over time her velocity will return and possibly exceed what it was previously.

May 12, 2008
I had a hitter last week that had a local college perform a hitting/fielding clinic for her ASA/PGF team. She reported that this was the first time that the instruction was not screwed up and presented in very similar concepts to what we've discussed here. The point being ... some colleges are getting it.

Would you mind naming the college? I'm often asked where a kid can play that won't do stupid stuff with her swing.

May 12, 2008
I'm sure Michael Lotief was laughed at when he started instructing girls at camps. Have an open mind is all I'm saying...

It's been years but in the several camps of Mike's I've attended and helped in he seemed to get a good reaction from the kids. He didn't really try to dig into all the details so much as pick one thing to help them improve on such as strong hip rotation. Mike's camps are well worth attending.

May 12, 2008
RMU Assistant Coach Keri Meyer;

Meyer is one of the most accomplished players in RMU history. She led the team to the 2005 NCAA Tournament by batting .418, a single-season school record that still stands, while posting a league-leading .472 on-base percentage and a .620 SLG%. She was named NEC Player of the Year that season and also claimed first team all-region honors for her remarkable contributions. Meyer was also the toughest player to strike out in Division I in 2005 and holds the best single-season at bat-to-strikeout ratio of any Division I player in the past decade.

Meyer helped the Colonials to a pair of NEC regular-season titles in her four years and was a three-time All-NEC honoree. She remains among the career top 10 in a variety of offensive categories at Robert Morris including batting average (.342), hits (165), RBI (77), doubles (29) and walks (46). Meyer was inducted into the RMU Athletic Hall of Fame in 2012

I have no dog in this fight but I'll mention this. Being able to do it is one level of knowing. Knowing what you actually did is another level of knowing. Being good at teaching what you actually did is a third level of knowing. Few there are who can lay claim to all three.

May 12, 2008
Nano, went to the same clinic you went to. I was watching my dd here and there but tried to stay away from her to let her experience someone else giving instructions. After the first session, we were heading out for lunch and my dd seemed upset. She said "Dad the coach there said my swing is wrong." I asked what do you mean. Then she went on and told me the same things you said. She also told me that they didn't like her finishing on her toe but to keep weight on back foot. I told her there is nothing wrong with your swing but if the coach says anything just acknowledge her. We went back and I made sure the next time she was in the group with the assistant that I was going to watch. Well, I did. When she started to explain to the girls about the swing, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I was so tempted to pull my phone out and show her video clips of what elite hitters look like. Anyway, I agree with Nano, it was a waste of $80. Only good thing was they complimented her slapping. They had no one there teaching that so I guess that was a good thing. Couldn't screw that up !

Having actively watched the process from 12 through college, I think the slappers have the advantage in terms of people not trying to mess around with their swing. Everyone thinks they know what a good full swing is. Few claim to know squat about slapping.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Had a similar experience w/ DD at a camp last year w/ a coach from a top-25 D-I school. No leg kick. It was pointed out to her on video analysis. DD's next station was tee work w/ another coach, another school. Coach asked her, 'What did they want you to work on?' DD says the leg kick. This coach says, 'No, leave that alone. I like that.' Later called DD's TB coach and invited her to her camp. Needless to say, I really liked that coach.

It's unreal what influence they have on a kid. On the way home I asked DD what she thought about the camp. Her response was simply "guess I gotta work on getting rid of my leg kick". Are you kidding me? So to not bash on the coach I just explained to her how some coaches just have different styles and maybe he just wanted to try something new with you? (I'm cussing deep inside) needless to say, we're still kickin! Lol I'm glad it worked out for your DD. At least someone was paying attention to all the good that's happening and not just a leg kick.

Sent from my

May 12, 2008
DD has a leg kick that I dare compare to an Adrian Gonzalez. So not horribly up there but the coach tells her she needs to get rid of that in order to be on time. I'm sitting there shaking my head. Less movement equals more contact she's told.
If she runs into a level of pitching she struggles with, simplification would be where I'd go. Until then, leave her leg kick alone would be my call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles