Almost kept my mouth shut all HS season but..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2008
Sometimes I think Seniors should have to work twice as hard to get to start, just to prove that they don't have senioritis. We have 4 seniors on our HS team, 3 are VERY good and are definite starters. 2 of them have had bouts of senioritis all season long and it has cost us. They seem to be waking up, and I just hope that it stays that way for districts and hopefully beyond!!!

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
The only silver lining is the AD has already stated that the softball head coaching position will be re-interviewed for next season. I can only hope that she doesn't get the job again.

Maybe the AD's job should be up for grabs too. If the AD had done his/her job, s/he would have realized that someone fresh out of college may need guidance when it comes to such things as dealing with parents, picking assistants, and whether or not seniors should get preference (schools do differ in their approach). In which other job would you put someone just out of school in charge of so many people (players + parents), without guidance or oversight?

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Who let them get away with this?... hmmm the coach, maybe.
Hey, I don't have any kids on high school teams, so I don't care whether seniors get to play or not or they get benched. Just seems no one can let things lie on either side. However, a parent approaching the coach and discussing playing time with him or her, that is off limits. I saw a presentation a family friend showed me after their HS orientation, and it tells the parents specifically that.

You are allowed to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of your own daughter's playing that might lead to more playing time. But this is not effective once it's playoff time.

I agree 100%. As the coach, its my job to keep the team focused. I honestly don't care what grade their in. If i'm picking say the top 12, thats what i do. If a player who has played on the JV team for 3 years because she can't make Varsity, i just don't bring her up for her senior year. If she is lazy and doesn't work hard, i cut her. However, if a girl works hard, shows dedication and has made improvemnet, i will offer her a spot with a limited role. It took 2 or 3 years, but all the kids and parents from the rec organization, right through the High School know how i run things. I never hesitate to bench a player either, senior or not. This season i benched the team captain for 1 game for an unexcused absence. Then brought a Soph. up from JV to take her place for that game! Think that didn't set the tone?

This coach took the opposite approach and looked immediately to the parents of the players for her assistants. End of day the team was not selected by the best talent avaialble. The 5 parents (all of seniors) formed a tight clique that ensured their precious DDs got the best positions and play time.

WOW!!! 5 asst coaches...i mean parent wanna be coaches, what a cluster #@*!. Thats so wrong. Easy to see there was no leadership here. I'd like to hear some of the coaches ingame meetings when it came to decision making/play calling....the blind leading the blind? Can you imagine 5 coaches (i mean clueless parents) telling each other what to do in the dugout....those poor kids must have been sooo embarrassed.
Im surprised (and proud of you) you lasted the season without popping! I'm sure your estatic its over. Seeing that your DD persiverred the season hopefully she at least enjoyed representing her HS. I can relate....my DD's HS team also has a 1st year coach fresh out of college. Except she ran the show alone.
Your DD's 'real season' starts soon.....be happy HS hell is behind you and the joy of watching your DD play for a real team is in front of you. Have a few tequilla shots....shake it off :) Happy days are here again.....enjoy the summer!!

Mar 15, 2010
Maybe the AD's job should be up for grabs too. If the AD had done his/her job, s/he would have realized that someone fresh out of college may need guidance when it comes to such things as dealing with parents, picking assistants, and whether or not seniors should get preference (schools do differ in their approach). In which other job would you put someone just out of school in charge of so many people (players + parents), without guidance or oversight?

Fire the AD? I would love that except the District Superintendent and HS Principal are Deacons along with him in the same church. The coach also belongs to the same church as did 3 of 5 parents. Getting someone fired in that clan is a long shot. Fortunately having the first losing season in memory appears to be big enough of an offense that the AD will consider a change. The current rumor is Coach is being moved to JV and the JV manager of boys baseball will get a shot at the head coach position next year.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
The current rumor is Coach is being moved to JV and the JV manager of boys baseball will get a shot at the head coach position next year.
That could be worse..getting a baseball coach!

Mar 15, 2010
The current rumor is Coach is being moved to JV and the JV manager of boys baseball will get a shot at the head coach position next year.
That could be worse..getting a baseball coach!

You mean like the Boy's Basketball coach also being the Water Polo coach? Or the tennis coach also coaching the golf team? Very small town, not many choices. The JV baseball coach has also coached his DDs travel ball teams during the off-season for 6 or 7 years and is, at least IMO, a far better choice.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You mean like the Boy's Basketball coach also being the Water Polo coach? Or the tennis coach also coaching the golf team? Very small town, not many choices. The JV baseball coach has also coached his DDs travel ball teams during the off-season for 6 or 7 years and is, at least IMO, a far better choice.

Those poor horses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06